Talk

Advanced search

Smelly washing machine - any tips

(10 Posts)
Harrizeb Thu 28-Jul-05 12:03:59

Hi,

Wondered if anyone has any helpful ideas please, my washing machine smell's musty and I cant shift it, and it's making my washing smell. I don't use conditioners and use Fairy non bio for washes.

Any ideas or tips please?

Thanks
H x

bran Thu 28-Jul-05 12:06:39

You could try doing a cycle with a washing machine cleaner, that will shift the limescale which might be harbouring mould or bacteria. Also if you have the type of powder drawer that dismantles try cleaning that.

purpleturtle Thu 28-Jul-05 12:07:35

Anything here helpful?

Scatterbrain Thu 28-Jul-05 12:09:16

I find mine gets smelly if I keep the door closed after use - you'll need to give it a rinse out - I usually just do an empty wash with washing powder - and then leave the door open ! Might be worth wiping around the rubber seals too with something like Flash - the seals sometimes pong a bit !

Micku5 Thu 28-Jul-05 12:09:26

Hi, when my washing machine broke down last year i asked the repair man the same question and he said to use a couple of scoops of soda crystals with your wash and it should help with the smells. BTW thanks for reminding me i have to go and do that now.

Clare1406 Thu 28-Jul-05 12:20:07

Hi, my repair man said the same, plus take the dispenser drawer out while the water's draining through, get an old tooth brussh, put crystals on it & scrub round the holes, as it gets really scummy in there. Also, soak the whole drawer & its parts in a bowl of crystals with a dash of lemon juice.
Hope this works for you.

bakedpotato Thu 28-Jul-05 12:27:24

Well, my repair man said just to run it on a 90 wash when it starts to smell.

rummum Thu 28-Jul-05 12:29:25

you could try emptying the filter if you have one

Harrizeb Thu 28-Jul-05 14:04:15

Hi thank you so much for all these tips, and I am ashamed to say that I didn't search in the archives - which I should of done as the link from Purple turtle and Aimsmum are brill - thank you. It's also nice to know I'm not the only one, as I was beinging to think I was just a useless housewife thanks

H x

Blu Thu 28-Jul-05 14:12:34

MY washing Machine Repair man said an empty wash with soda crystals.
He wasn't good looking at all, but v cheap.
HTH.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: