Talk

Advanced search

Does this weather make you want to emigrate?

(80 Posts)
redshoes Thu 28-Jul-05 10:41:15

Dh is sooo fed up, not just with the weather but with rip-off GB in general...has anyone else felt the same and looked into emigrating? Where in the world is most like England culturally, but with better weather? Don't mind snow in winter, so long as year-round weather isn't grey and rainy! Canada? Australia? New Zealand? Somewhere in Europe? Anyone?

assumedname Thu 28-Jul-05 10:42:57

No. Always think about the spiders and snakes...

Hausfrau Thu 28-Jul-05 10:44:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

compo Thu 28-Jul-05 10:45:16

no. tbh I think we've had pretty good weather this summer so far

tarantula Thu 28-Jul-05 10:50:00

Nope weather seems ok to me. Dp was moaning about eh wet yesterday so I proposed we move to Galway . and if you want rip off def move over there. Trust me then your dp could moan to his hearts content

expatinscotland Thu 28-Jul-05 11:14:21

No. I came here BECAUSE of the cold, grey, 20wet weather. Spent most of my life trying to avoid roasting alive. Sick to the back teeth of it.

Glad to see the back of heat and humidity and all that goes with it - bugs, disease, allergies, sinus problems, always drenched in sweat, etc.

compo Thu 28-Jul-05 11:15:34

I lkke the weather here because it's interesting iyswim. I would hate all the winter to be freezing cold and all the summer to be boiling hot. That would get boring!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 28-Jul-05 11:16:29

I too immigrated to the UK for this sort of weather. The really hot stuff makes me feel ripped-off.

But then, I'm off home (Canada) for nearly four weeks, on Saturday.

If you want less rainy weather, Montreal or Toronto is OK. You could go to the prairies - freeze in winter, boil in summer. I think the Canadian coasts are much like here for weather, though.

hunkermunker Thu 28-Jul-05 11:16:34

I love this weather. Far prefer it to sweating all day.

albert Thu 28-Jul-05 11:19:10

No. I lived in Oz for a couple of years and when it rained I would run out with my umbrella and meet up with all the other UK nutters doing the same thing because we missed the rain.
currently in Venice, 37 degrees, very humid and the canal are stinking because the sewage boat is dredging. Give me rainy grey England any day!

Toothache Thu 28-Jul-05 11:20:55

Redshoes - What about Scotland???? Sun shines here all summer long. In fact I'm getting a bit sick of the sun now.... today - Hot & Sunny, tomorrow - Hot & Sunny.... every day - Hot & Sunny. Roll on Autumn.

iota Thu 28-Jul-05 11:20:56

my kids stuck in the house in this weather amkes me want to emigrate

DaddyCool Thu 28-Jul-05 11:23:45

i'm sick and tired of the rain. i like it as big cook would say, 'hot hot hot'. i want to emigrate to oz but i can't convince dw.

tarantula Thu 28-Jul-05 11:36:38

lol Iota thats what dp said to me yesterday.
Fraid I told him he wasnt made of paper and to get out and enjoy a walk in the rain.
I told him to put his raincoat on and go for a walk with dd and let her play in the playground then a quick change of trousers and top(for dd not dp) before going home in the buggy. Once shes a bit older Ill be investing in wellies and raincoats and trousers and letting her run riot through the puddles.

expatinscotland Thu 28-Jul-05 11:38:02

Quite right, tarantula. My mum will say to me, 'You're going to go out in all that rain!' I always reply, 'Mum, if people didn't go out in the rain in Scotland no one would ever go anywhere.'

dejags Thu 28-Jul-05 11:41:01

No, no, no... .

It's the middle of winter here and 25degress celcius. I long for a cool English day.

piffle Thu 28-Jul-05 11:41:29

New Zealand

Fact, gets more rain and more wind than the UK
They just built their roads to deal with it
Weather here is far drier! Summer shorter and not as great though
And NZ has wetas....
UGH

eidsvold Thu 28-Jul-05 12:49:36

Aus - is fab but being an aussie I am allowed to be biased. Having said that english dh loves it here.... today a lovely 24 degrees - mid winter day - sun was glorious. Very hot and humid summer......

not too big a deal with snakes - haven't seen one except in the zoo... spiders - okay we had redbacks - poisonous and nasty but just killed them and did the redback check before taking the girls out into the garden.....

purpleturtle Thu 28-Jul-05 12:53:00

Will there be redbacks in Perth?

Wallace Thu 28-Jul-05 12:54:08

In Zimbabwe at the moment and the weather is glorious Flying back to Scotland next Wednesday though

redshoes Thu 28-Jul-05 14:28:51

Piffle, is that all of New Zealand? Some parts must be drier, no? It's not the weather itself we mind, it's the way it stops us from doing things with the kids. I am not a rainy park person.

CountessDracula Thu 28-Jul-05 14:30:19

We have had so little rain in London in the past year that tbh anything that stops Richmond Park looking like a savannah is welcome!

redshoes Thu 28-Jul-05 14:31:19

Hmmm Wallace Zimbabwe - lost too many rellys there in the war. Used to live there as a child. Bet the weather's lovely, but not the place for me.

starrynight Thu 28-Jul-05 15:14:02

OMG - I was just thinking of posting this very thread! Wierd. BTW, the answer is obviously a resounding Y E S

starrynight Thu 28-Jul-05 15:18:12

And I have the same dilemma - I want to move somewhere english speaking, with good infrastructure/health/jobs etc, but with better weather.

I don't want hot hot hot but not pissing it down constantly would be brill. Even proper seasons rather than rain, rainier & rainiest would be OK.

Eidsvold are you in Sydney? That is our no.1 option at the moment but want to make sure its not too rainy in winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now