Talk

Advanced search

Seeing RED!!

(8 Posts)
unicorn Wed 27-Jul-05 20:35:48

Not sure which section to post this so here goes...
Basically since having kids I seem to have developed a very raw nerve, and can over-react to statements/discussions/arguements.
It has meant falling out with the bulk of my family (but there's more there).. but last night I found myself getting very upset/emotional- ready to flounce in RL!!- when a discussion hit this raw point....
Anyhow I am getting a bit worried.. and don't want to lose all my friends as well as family...

Any thoughts/help advice welcome.
( fwiw -Doctor isn't much use- and I don't feel depressed really)

helsi Wed 27-Jul-05 20:39:11

stress did that to me although I didn't feel stressed or depressed. It was diagnosed though as late onset PND and work related sstress. maybe you are over stressd without realising?

dejags Wed 27-Jul-05 20:42:26

may ask what the sore point is Unicorn?

I had PND after my first and even now (four years later) I get very defensive/aggressive/emotional if I think my parenting skills are being questioned.

(have a look at the breastfeeding threads a while ago ).

My point is the trigger may be manageable. Helsi also has a point about not acknowledging stress?

binkie Wed 27-Jul-05 20:54:28

I think the change in reactiveness is quite common - do you feel like a funny-side anecdote? - my sister realised it was happening to her when she noticed a green potato in the supermarket and then found herself marching up to a baffled salesperson shrieking "NEUROTOXINS! NEUROTOXINS!"

Sister is back to usual laidbackness now.

unicorn Wed 27-Jul-05 21:32:31

stress is probably the key...

I have always been a 'highly strung' (or should be) individual... i just seem to have an even more knee jerk/simplistic reaction to things... it's like there is an inhibitor (?) missing...
I go from fairly ok... to OTT.

Last night was totally ou of the blue.. but related to a 'discussion' about shoot to kill.
Obviously this will never be an easy one.. but my reaction was completely O.T.T...

does.. Stress = depression?

I am stressed.. I am not a relaxed happy go lucky type anyway.. but since having kids, I am a PITA.

Other than anti-depressants (done that) any other words of wisdom?

unicorn Wed 27-Jul-05 22:52:20

Is stress the same as depression?

I sometimes think antidepressants are just a quick way of getting you out of the Doctors surgery... and are not always applicable.

binkie Wed 27-Jul-05 22:58:55

I'm sure the two could go together, or maybe trigger each other, but not the same I don't think. I'm very very stressed, permanently, but I can fall asleep easily and find things funny - which I think I wouldn't if I were depressed?

Have you tried doing the PND test? - is it called the Edinburgh test?

unicorn Wed 27-Jul-05 23:04:39

ta Binkie
I did it a while back - maybe worth a revisit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: