Talk

Advanced search

Brighton Mumsnetters - persuade me to move there!

(39 Posts)
snafu Wed 27-Jul-05 18:11:04

Have just come back from a day promenading and eating over-priced (but delish) ice-cream in Brighton. It's years since I was last there and I had forgotten how much I like it. I can't move atm, but am thinking a few years ahead. When I've qualified as a midwife, ideally I'd like to set up as an independent. It strikes me that Brighton would be a lovely place to work in that capacity...

I'm just thinking aloud really, but as a single mother on a not-very-high wage, is this realistic? The reason I'm thinking this way is because I know I won't be able to stay in London - at least not the parts of London I'd like to stay in - but Brighton's not exactly the cheapest place in the world either, is it?

Soooo, I guess I'm looking for advice on possible areas to consider, with decent primaries, and generally encouraging 'I have a lovely life on the coast earning a pittance' type stories

Any takers? Go on, persuade me...

desperatehousewife Wed 27-Jul-05 18:21:49

it's the most amazing place to live. So chilled out and friendly compared with a lot of London and I guess other major cities.

I think it has everything London has to offer but on a smaller scale (a walkable scale) excpet of course John Lewis and Selfridges. But you can't have everything.

It is very expensive here now, but still compared to London you can get good value for money.

A skill like midwifery i would think would tranfer very well to a place like this.

Jobs are harder to come by and pay is much lower than London - but the quality of every day life - walking past the sea every day to work and having so much on your doorstep makes up for this.

Do it!

snafu Wed 27-Jul-05 18:28:11

Thanks dhw

I do love London but I have to expand my options a bit, I think. And I miss being by the sea - I did my degree in a seaside town and just love being able to see it and smell it, even in bad weather like today!

noddyholder Wed 27-Jul-05 18:35:48

Can't recommend it highly enough and one of my friends is just about to start yr2 of midwifery training and apparently they are desperate for people.It really is so chilled like DHW says and if you don't feel like the sea (some days you don't!)a ten minute drive in the opposite direction and you are in the countryside.The schools are great too if thats relevant and it is just a really colourful place to live Come on we are all lovely here!

redshoes Wed 27-Jul-05 18:44:10

I think Brighton would be just about the best place in the country to practise as an independent midwife - lots of well-off alternative types here. And your quality of life (walks by the sea, no commuting etc etc) would be soooo good - just come! And good schools too - there was a recent thread on primaries here.

snafu Wed 27-Jul-05 18:58:55

This is making me want to just pack up and move tomorrow

Any tips on nice but less-expensive areas?

RnB Wed 27-Jul-05 19:19:12

Message withdrawn

desperatehousewife Wed 27-Jul-05 19:21:29

Kemp Town is great.
Poets Corner which is in Hove is better value for money.
You should even consider Worthing. Much cheaper and only 20 mins drive away, and still on the coast and I think will have a property boom over next few years.

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 19:24:11

Message withdrawn

desperatehousewife Wed 27-Jul-05 19:25:37

sorry don't know. Check out

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 19:26:39

Message withdrawn

Tinker Wed 27-Jul-05 19:27:47

Have a (used to be single mother) friend in Brighton. She bought her flat through a shared ownership HA thing. She did have a deposit though. But...it can be done.

dinny Wed 27-Jul-05 19:29:36

can I ask how long the commute is into London by train? and is it far too busy to drive in during rush hour? thanks! Dinny

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 19:29:43

Message withdrawn

dinny Wed 27-Jul-05 19:32:05

could be done, Happymumof2, maybe your two children could share a room and you could have a sofabed in living room...?

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 19:35:46

Message withdrawn

dinny Wed 27-Jul-05 19:40:10

I'd go for it - would always go for location above accommodatin, personally

RnB Wed 27-Jul-05 19:41:36

Message withdrawn

redshoes Wed 27-Jul-05 19:54:21

HMo2 steer clear of Whitehawk and Moulsecoomb. Would you be eligible for HA properties? Every time they build more posh flats (like, every day) the council makes them include so many for 'social housing' so these are in nice locations. Dunno how you get one though. Ring the Housing dept.?

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 20:00:34

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 22:04:53

Message withdrawn

Cam Wed 27-Jul-05 22:18:14

Sorry can't persuade you, Hastings is the new Brighton

Tortington Wed 27-Jul-05 22:23:25

dont know it but brighton beats the shit out of islington for bringing your kids up. go for it then put in for a transfer.

HappyMumof2 Wed 27-Jul-05 22:27:50

Message withdrawn

Tortington Wed 27-Jul-05 22:36:09

i live in worthing - and am originally from oldahm to boot - i dont exactly get lost in brighton but i cant tell you street names. sorry.

ask to go see it immediatley - ask if you can claim travel expenses back too? i dont know - you can ask - they want to let the property asap!

brighton is unique in its atmosphere - its just like no where else i have ever been.

imagine taking your kids to the beach ........every single day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw - you absolutley must find a babysitter as soon as you move as you will have to call a mumsnet pissup come decorating party round at yours.

as long as you want everything painted white it shouldnt be too bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now