Talk

Advanced search

polygamy

(52 Posts)
Mytwopenceworth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:28:14

ahould marriage to more than one person be legal here?

freedom of choice? family instability?

Topic for debate?

starlover Wed 27-Jul-05 14:28:48

no.
we should all just live in a huge commune and have sex with everyone

happymerryberries Wed 27-Jul-05 14:29:27

Well polygamy is just multiple wives isn't it?

Polyandy is more than one husband?

expatinscotland Wed 27-Jul-05 14:29:50

No.

happymerryberries Wed 27-Jul-05 14:29:54

Shouldn't be legal here I think

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 14:30:49

hmb, polygamy is more than one of either. Polyandry is more than one husband, polygyny is more than one wife.

happymerryberries Wed 27-Jul-05 14:31:24

Knew someone would know!

Still no anyway

tigermoth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:31:37

no - if having multiple wives is legal, it gives men too much power.

OldieMum Wed 27-Jul-05 14:32:16

The Kenya Luo word for 'co-wife' is almost the same as the word for 'jealousy'. Nuff said.

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 14:32:29

What about if multiple husbands were allowed too though, tigermoth?

cuddlykyack Wed 27-Jul-05 14:32:30

am i the only one reminded of monty python!! polly polly!! this parrot is dead

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 14:33:16

<pssst, cuddly ... you don't spell kayak like that ... >

tigermoth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:33:39

or the equivalent for women seeing latest messages - no!

and think of the complications if the same wife had two husbands and those husbance in turn had more then one wife each.

Mytwopenceworth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:34:29

Family units are not necessarily undermined by the addition of extra parental figures. Rather, more providers can make great contributions to the home. Preconceived ideas about jealousy are defeated by the happy existence often developed by members of families at ease with one another in the routine and love of everyday life in stable polygamous homes. Polygamy presents heterosexual people with the opportunity to have partners in life of their own sex, within the family home, with whom they work and to whom they are bound by something even closer than friendship. Many bad things happen in monogamous marriages. Hierarchies exist in monogamous families - between husband and wife, between siblings. That they similarly have the capacity to exist in polygamous marriages isn’t a true argument against such unions, capable as they are of producing stable homes, just as monogamous marriages do. Some marriages are good, some bad - that’s true of both monogamy and polygamy: and for those involved - partners, children, society - a good polygamous marriage is better than a bad monogamous one.

cuddlykyack Wed 27-Jul-05 14:35:17

oooooooooooooooooops thanks

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 14:37:49

Mytwopenceworth, do you really believe that, or have you cut and pasted just for the sake of a discussion?

cuddlykayak Wed 27-Jul-05 14:38:13

ok now?

OldieMum Wed 27-Jul-05 14:39:11

I spent 19 months in a Kenyan village, doing research on gender, livelihoods and poverty. I met very few women who thought that polygyny was a good idea. They few who did thought that they had been very lucky in their co-wives.

expatinscotland Wed 27-Jul-05 14:39:21

'Polygamy presents heterosexual people with the opportunity to have partners in life of their own sex, within the family home, with whom they work and to whom they are bound by something even closer than friendship.'

Righty-o. I am heterosexual and one had to live with my mother and sister, to whom I was bound by something closer than friendship, w/i the family home.

It sucked. I couldn't get out of there quickly enough.

I don't WANT partners of the same sex 'sharing' my home and shagging my husband, thank you.

Mytwopenceworth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:41:18

I have been reading lots of comments about how people are bored of endless lists and how long it has been since there has been a debate! If people can ask what colour is your underwear and are you a swinger, I thought I could invite people to debate a couple of topics!!

cuddlykayak Wed 27-Jul-05 14:41:31

wwb thanks!! omg!! i looked up pics os kayak [spelt right] on wanadoo pics you dont wanna see what i saw going to change my name back ,,arggggggggh

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 14:41:49

No problem with that - just wondered what you thought though.

Mytwopenceworth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:42:01

and yes, i did cut and paste a starter point to kick off a debate!!

Mytwopenceworth Wed 27-Jul-05 14:42:55

me? i think that there are pros and cons! how on the fence is that! i find that in debating a topic, you can come to realise where you stand even if you werent sure to begin with!!

happymerryberries Wed 27-Jul-05 14:43:21

I would hazard a guess that the numbers of women who would realy like to be in a polygamous relationship is about the same as women happy to be in an 'open' monogamous one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now