Talk

Advanced search

clapton

(39 Posts)
lewislewis Mon 25-Jul-05 14:31:24

We were about to put an offer on a place in Lewisham, but got scared at the prospect of awful primaries.... We are now thinking about lovely Clapton in Hackney, I know the area as I lived in Dunlace Road for 6 years when we did not have ds, so i know about its reputation, i know it is scruffy, etc. Can anybody down in Clapton convince me that it is a good area for families? This morning walked around the area and though I think Homerton High Street is the most depressing sight in the whole world, I liked what I saw!!! Can you tell me that you and your kids are happy in Clapton? I believe Millfields and Rushmore are good schools, are any others?

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:32:29

Yes, me! Doddle (another mumsnetter) lives there too. She has two DSs at Millfields, I have one there already and one starting in September.

I do worry about what we will do at the secondary school stage, but it's fine and dandy at the moment.

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:32:53

Millfields is fab, btw. Rushmore is okay I think too.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:34:00

I think Millfields is a good school, I know someone that recently moved to Millfieds road (I think) and moved their children to that school.

My sister lives there, in temp accomadation, not sure if she likes the area. I know her flat is too small so she will be happy to move just to get more space.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:35:07

Dinosaur - I know 2 children in Millfields, one about to start Y5 and another about to start Y2.

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:35:46

Ooh, DS1 is about to start Y2! He's going to be in Mehmet's class.

moondog Mon 25-Jul-05 14:37:17

Oh sorry...Thought it was musos talking about Eric Clapton.

(I'll get me coat)

lewislewis Mon 25-Jul-05 14:39:31

Will worry about Secondary Schools when the time comes, what a nightmare though. Are you happy in Clapton? House prices are still quite high considering the area is fairly scruffy, my dp and I used to rent a 3 storey house on dunlace road for 100 pounds a week in 1997, stupidly we did not buy at the time.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:44:33

Its a little girl I know in that class, she started that school during year 1. She is such a lovely little thing She also had chicken pox not long after joining!

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:46:24

Yes, we are happy there. I like the fact that there is so much green space on the doorstep (Lea Valley, Hackney Marshes, Victoria Park, Clissold Park) and that it's so easy to take the DSs out and about.

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:47:00

Whose class was she in this year, kid?

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:48:17

I don't know who's class she was in. She used to go to DD's school. I didn't realise it was 2 form entry.
Her name begins with an A.

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:50:02

I can think of three girls in DS1's class whose names begin with an A!

Is she on holiday atm by any chance? DS1 invited a little girl whose name begins with A to his party this Saturday but she's away on holiday.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:51:24

she has a double barrel surname, its T-H

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:52:32

I don't know this girl's surname, so can't narrow it down there!

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:53:38

What are the chances of her reading this anyway!

(her name is Avalon)

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 14:56:08

Yes!!! It's her!!! DS1 really likes her. They have both been going to a sort of extra class for advanced readers.

My DS1 is called Adam, btw.

We were very sorry she couldn't come to his party. DS1 doesn't find making friends all that easy so it's always nice when he makes a new friend.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 14:57:47

Her mum and dad are lovely too, I see them now again while shopping in Tescos. Hope they are having a lovely holiday, lucky them. I wonder if they are in America again

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 15:02:16

Yes, her mum told DH that's where they were going.

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 15:03:51

A is a very good girl, she was in DD's class. The teacher was very sad to see her go, even more sad when she got A's replacement

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 15:04:37

Are you also in Hackney, kid? (If you don't mind me asking.)

kid Mon 25-Jul-05 15:06:42

I am in Hackney, I moved last year but not far. Infact, it was only about 2 streets away that I moved!
I'm between Shoreditch and Dalston.

dinosaur Tue 26-Jul-05 17:10:57

Any more thoughts, lewislewis?

hoxtonchick Tue 26-Jul-05 17:17:40

helllllllllooooooo hackney-ers

kid Tue 26-Jul-05 17:44:34

Hello HC - I bet you are very jealous of me. I went to see fire brigade at Haggerston Park today and we were alllowed to get on the fire engine and use the hose! C had the time of his life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now