Talk

Advanced search

lewisham

(15 Posts)
lewislewis Sun 24-Jul-05 14:57:08

do any of you live near lewisham station and like it? is it nice for families with small kids?

hunkermunker Sun 24-Jul-05 14:59:36

When I knew Lewisham (about ten years ago) it was very rough. Not sure now though.

lewislewis Sun 24-Jul-05 15:37:06

agree it is scruffy, hence cheaper than neighbouring areas. anybody lives there and is happy?

Waswondering Sun 24-Jul-05 15:42:05

One of my former flatmates lives there and is very happy. She is expecting her first and loves her house and being close to Greenwich.

I'm afraid I don't know much else about the area though!!

Caligula Sun 24-Jul-05 15:42:15

I have lots of friends who live there. There are actually a few very nice roads - on the borders of Blackheath and on the borders of Ladywell and further up on the borders of Brockley.

I moved out of it mainly because of houseprices - it was scruffy and dangerous but a decent sized family house still cost at least a quarter of a million! - and also the schools. Many of the schools in Lewisham are just abysmal. There are 2 good secondary ones to my knowledge, (Aske's and Addeys) though someone may come on with more up to date info.

blossom2 Sun 24-Jul-05 15:54:22

I'll be moving back to Hither Green which is about 20 mins walk from lewisham town centre (and station). i love my hse and area, greenwich & blackheath is very close, lee green is also becoming very popular with some fantastic hse there. it is considered inner-city, but it is becoming VERY middle-class since connections to london are so good. i've never felt unsafe. lots of parks, lots of activities for babies & toddlers (music, tumble tots), leisure centres.
HTH

Caligula Sun 24-Jul-05 15:56:38

I used to live in Hither Green Blossom! Had a drug dealer round the corner though, which put me off. But I lived on the Catford side, rather than the Lee side - the bit on the Lee side of the station is very nice.

blossom2 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:00:46

we once had a police raid on one of the hses on our street!!! i used to/will be living in the catford side as well, although our street is very residential with loads of families.

i've always lived in inner city areas. used to live in docklands before all the developments so quite used to the 'rough' environment.

romany4 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:03:42

Don`t know about nice for families but my grandparents lived there all their lives and never got broken into or mugged so it must be ok!

lewislewis Sun 24-Jul-05 16:17:54

it seems to me that the whole area around the centre of lewisham is lovely with lots of parks. we have found a house we like near the station, but there does not seem to be anything very close by to do with kids (except for a playground inside the shopping centre!) - all the nice parks are at least a bus ride away! are the primary schools abysmal as well?

blossom2 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:20:29

there are certainly some very good primary schools, but competition is tough.

there is Kids Corner in hither green which is an indoor play area where you can have tea. there is also greenwich leisure centre.

how old are your kids and what kind of activities are you looking for??

lewislewis Sun 24-Jul-05 16:27:57

DS is 2 and we are planning for no2. I am thinking of playgroups and stuff to do on a rainy winter afternoon. I have been spoilt, I live in Hackney and there is lots to do within walking distance, so many parks, and lots of friendly people,too expensive it has become though....

blossom2 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:38:42

hm, yr probably right in that most things will be a bus, DLR or a walk away. But here are some ideas:
1) Kids Corner in Hither Green (indoor play area)
2) Archers leisure centre (swimming pool etc)
3) there are loads of playgroups near me (hither green), wednesday, thursday, friday mornings (from what i can remember).
4) lewisham library has a great children's department with storytime on tuesday mornings
5) music groups in greenwich, blackheath & lee area
6) tumble tots in lee as well ...

DD1 was at childminders when she was 2 years but she was always being taken to playgroups and/or the park ....

blossom2 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:40:16

also, NCT is huge in the area - it has the highest number of members of all the london branchs ...

lewislewis Sun 24-Jul-05 16:46:54

That sounds interesting, maybe i just have to get used to the idea that we may have to start walking, which is not so bad. Would anybody know anything about these 3 schools:
Lewisham Brige, St Mary's and St Saviour's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now