Talk

Advanced search

Breville Ice Cream Maker

(9 Posts)
Spoo Sat 23-Jul-05 13:52:37

We have been given an ice cream maker by my DH's aunt. However we have no instructions. Does anyone know how to use it as all the recipes say follow the instructions! We have never made ice cream before.

Spoo Sun 24-Jul-05 11:34:21

Anyone?

wangle99 Sun 24-Jul-05 21:20:31

What kind of maker is it (I know it's breville but what does it look like), how much does it make?

If you can find a pic for me to see I'll see if it's similar to mind and if it is i'll type the recipes out for you!

Spoo Tue 26-Jul-05 18:41:40

Thank you Wangle - have a look at
this
Never done a link before so hope this works.

wangle99 Tue 26-Jul-05 20:50:53

Right, that ice cream maker is totally different to the one I have but presumably ice cream can't be THAT different!

let me know if the ice cream recipes are custard based (using egg yolks) or just cream and then I will let you know what the instructions are for my machine and you can give it a go

OldieMum Tue 26-Jul-05 21:26:15

We bought an ice cream maker a few weeks ago. There are two basic methods, one is to use a mixture of cream and a sweetened fruit puree. The other involves making a simple egg-based custard and mixing it into it a fruit puree, chocolate etc. The instruction book that came with ours (a Gaggia) was not very helpful, so I bought 'Frozen Desserts', by Caroline Liddell and Robin Weir, which is good. However, the fruit/cream version I have been using more often is this, adapted from Jane Grigson. It works very well:

8 fl oz double cream
2 fl oz milk
4oz caster sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
juice of 1/2 orange
8oz strawberries or raspberries

For strawberries - liquidise and then strain
For raspberries - push them through a sieve

Add sugar and fruit juices, combine with cream and then freeze. When the machine stops churning, put the ice cream into a plastic container and place in the deep freeze to harden. Put it into the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving.

Spoo Wed 27-Jul-05 18:38:14

THank you guys. So in summary you make up the 'cream' element either using cream or egg based custard - you mix these with the fruit/ chocolate coffee etc and let it churn / freeze in the machine. Once it stops churning you then put it in the freezer. Is that the gist of it?

wangle99 Wed 27-Jul-05 20:06:33

Yep that's just about it! Make sure your ingredients are cold before they go into the machine though and make sure machine bowl has been freezing for at least 12 hours in your freezer.

Enjoy!

Spoo Thu 28-Jul-05 17:44:47

Thank you wangle. Will give it a go this weekend. Just hope the weather improves so we can have ice cream in the garden! mmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now