Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Those mini-motorbikes...

(13 Posts)
Blu Sat 23-Jul-05 00:49:38

Our area is infested with young teenagers, sometimes even older children (aged about 8) riding those tiny motorbikes, at speed, on the road, and with no regard to any rules of the road.

Is it legal?

No number plates, on the road, 30mph and over?

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 01:06:22

They're illegal.

The cops will come if they're in the park, they might care a bit less about the road.

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 01:11:22

Blu, what a coincidence. see my thread could you/would you put up with this? It's near this one IIRC!

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 01:12:20

here

Blu Sat 23-Jul-05 01:18:05

Oh, yes! Sorry, didn't see that!

Blooming irritating. Culprits presumably have a short life expectancy, though. They have the most grating drone of an engine noise.

How much do they cost?

jayzmummy Sat 23-Jul-05 01:33:11

Ebay from £175.

The British School Boy Moto Cross Association are pressuring local police officers to prosecute parents who allow their child to ride these bikes on a public highway. Doesnt help much though if the children are riding them on private land.

These bikes are lethal and sadly its not going to be long before someone gets killed

I have seen children as young as 6 riding these bikes whilst not being supervised or wearing the necessary body armour and essential helmets.

Some parents really have no sense!!

jayzmummy Sat 23-Jul-05 01:36:01

DH has just told me that vodaphone are giving the bikes away as part of an offer to sign up to a yearly contract....so Dad gets a new phone and "Little Jonny" gets a new toy which is potentially a killer

Flossam Sun 24-Jul-05 11:38:35

Just as a point of interest, apparently the community police in DP's area are now seizing these bikes when ridden on the road, as they are not taxed, MoT'd, roadworthy, person does not hold a lisence, no insurance, oh and no helmets. So pretty illegal then.

gscrym Sun 24-Jul-05 12:47:12

I not only wish that these were all thrown on the scrapheap and crushed but you can add 50cc mopeds driven by kids who slap on an L plate and think they have a scooby about what driving something like that involves. They have no consideration for anyone and any that I know (used to help with scouts) have no intention of taking a test. They do they're CBT and live with the gaps when it runs out.

HellyBelly Sun 24-Jul-05 13:27:33

I understand what this is like - awful!! We have these aswell as 2 quad bikes driven by adults (no helmets or anything), a big trike (adults) & 3 suped-up motorbikes (teenagers). Up down up down up down all bloody night sometimes - getting worse with the summer hols and the adults seem to egg them on!!! We're desperate to move as the noise at night drives us mad. We've been trying to get the police to do something for over 3 years and on one call, the operator said 'well maybe you should get double glazing then!!' - we were SOOO

I'm afraid when we eventually move, we may end up with the same thing as it seems to be all the rage now!

HappyMumof2 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:36:34

Message withdrawn

Micku5 Sun 24-Jul-05 17:49:42

We've got someone (an adult) riding those blasted bikes now!!! They seems to start just as my dd is going to have a nap. We too are trying to move and pray each time that we have a viewing that they are not around.

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 17:59:15

There's a shopping cahnnel on Sky called Max. I found it when we were flicking through all the chanels to see what c**p they sell and lo and behold they were seling the motorbikes.

They were actually selling them as a kids toy and said not suitable for under 6 yr old! FFS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now