Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever overhear something , think it's about you, but are not sure enough to challenge them?

(14 Posts)
assumedname Fri 22-Jul-05 21:43:07

As I was waiting outside school, on the grass by the railings, for dd3's class to come out, three women came out from the school car park, past me and onto the pavement leading past the school. I overheard:

'...standing there with her foot sticking out just waiting to trip me up ...'

One of the other woman replied, in a surprised voice, 'Who?'

There was a noticeable pause, until the women were well past me.

What do you think? Am I just being paranoid?

Fran1 Fri 22-Jul-05 21:45:07

if you were the only person standing around then i think you are right to think it was about you.

do you have issues with this woman?

she sounds very petty to me, more like a bunch of school children than adults!

I'd be thinking better off not being friends with her!!

SenoraPostrophe Fri 22-Jul-05 21:45:44

well, were you standing around with your foot sticking out?

LittleMissNaughty Fri 22-Jul-05 21:45:46

Maybe they were worried that you would know the person they were talking about so didn't want to say her name.

madmarchhare Fri 22-Jul-05 21:45:48

I'd just make sure I had someone hiding behind the tree, the other side of the path, with a trip wire and wait patiently. Im not paranoid though.

bran Fri 22-Jul-05 21:47:20

I think you probably are just being paranoid, unless you have been attempting to trip that particular woman up. She may just have been being discrete, I know that I instinctively stop bitching if there is someone unconnected within earshot who might possibly know the person I'm bitching about.

You'll probably never know either way anyway so it's not really worth the time and effort of worrying about it.

makealist Fri 22-Jul-05 21:49:29

Overheard 2 of my neighbours say "this time next year I could be like *** (my name)" then she repeated it cause the other neighbour hadn't replied, then they both laughed!!!!!

I haven't got a clue what they could have meant!!!

kid Fri 22-Jul-05 21:51:04

my first thought it slim like X or large like X. Weren't you tempted to ask them what they meant by it? Bet the would have liked the ground to swallow them if you had confronted them!

SenoraPostrophe Fri 22-Jul-05 21:51:27

makealist - have you got one more child than the neighbour?

kid Fri 22-Jul-05 21:51:28

the = they

assumedname Fri 22-Jul-05 22:00:41

Well, I was standing around. I had my weight on my left hip and my other foot was turned to the side. so I guess it must have been about me.

But, I don't know this woman from Eve, or her mates, and they had 50 yards to see where I was standing and go round me! I think it's because I'm tall, my feet go places where other people don't think to look!

kid Fri 22-Jul-05 22:02:15

assumedname - they sound really childish IMO. The fact that you don't even know them makes them even sadder

LittleMissNaughty Fri 22-Jul-05 22:04:40

Maybe she almost tripped over your foot, got annoyed and so made the comment in the heat of the moment. It was probably spoken about briefly and they then moved on to moan about something else.

makealist Fri 22-Jul-05 22:47:39

Sp. no, one is bitter old cow of 59 and the other a right common fishwife with 3 kids.

As you probably can guess, theres no love lost between us.

So I'm guessing it wasn't referring to anything nice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: