Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much of this could you/would you put up with?

(19 Posts)
Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 18:17:07

Kids going around and around out flat complex car park. For about 2 hours every evening although it may start to be more now it's the hols. Also as I crossed the grass and path to my front door a couple of days ago one zoomed up on there, I was carrying DS and they nearly knocked us over. A parent just stood there and looked right back at me expressionless. I know it could have been worse, but would this start to drive you potty? I have been trying to let it all wash over me but this has been going on every night for at least 3 weeks and it's not working well for me anymore!

Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 18:18:26

and around our flat .... must preview, must preview, must preview.

ediemay Fri 22-Jul-05 18:24:16

It would drive me nuts. Do you have a community police officer who could come and have a word with them?

Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 18:42:06

Erm, yes I live with one! lol. But he dosen't seem to think much can be done. I should point out they are literally going backwards and forwards right below our lounge windows. My mum suggests ringing the council?

suedonim Fri 22-Jul-05 20:41:18

The town where my mum lives has had this problem and also the town near us. The police have stepped in stop it, under the nuisance laws. But I'm in Scotland so don't know if the law is the same with you. Good luck!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 22-Jul-05 20:43:18

Are they kids who live in your flat? Are they running, biking, motor-biking, or what?

Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 23:18:53

Whoops sorry I missed this earlier. We live in a court area, which is basically flats around the car park. They are going back and forth next to my flat in two petrol run small scooters. Every night. They went in at about 7 tonight and then came back out again at 7.30 for more! I don't want to be a bore, but in an inner city area I don't see that it is appropriate for children (they are perhaps aged between 8-13) to have such 'toys' especially when they nearly run me and most importantly DS over.

Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 23:19:14

And yes I think they live in the next block along.

lovecloud Fri 22-Jul-05 23:33:33

you could go out and spread something very slippery all over the ground...

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 00:34:33

Then I might have a law suit on my hands from some competitive mummy who sincerely believes that by letting her lovely DS ride up and down a car park they are to become the next big motor cross champion! Having said that I do have an extra big bottle of olive oil atm- and it is very late ...

But it's down three flights of stairs and I just can't. Besides, I have no batteries in my baby monitor and we all know the type of mothers who go out without them now don't we

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 00:41:21

Ah, yes, I understand your annoyance. I guess the police wouldn't care, as it's private property? I'd talk to the management company of the block and try to get it banned?

I really hate those little petrol-powered vehicles, they're very loud and alarming.

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 00:47:32

I have thought about that too NQC. I am on friendly terms with a really sweet guy who comes to clean the communal areas - I will see if he has anything to say about it - perhaps he can tell his manager and from there on...?

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 00:49:18

I think that would be wise. It's tricky, because of course there's nowhere these kids can ride these (stupid) motorbikes legally. But I'd try to get it outlawed in the public areas, although still, enforcement will be an issue.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 00:50:38

Oooh, is the property all owned by one company?

If so, I would go at it from a liability/risk perspective. If they know this is going on and don't stop it, and someone gets hurt, they could be sued! (Might even work if the property isn't centrally owned, the company owning the common areas might be susceptible to this sort of thing.)

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 00:50:43

As a parent to my DS though I would never dream of buying him such a thing in such a communal area. I can see I am not going to be a popular mummy with my DS when he is older, but even so.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 00:51:51

My DS sees people on them in the parks, and says "Mummy, phone the police", as he knows that's what I do. (Not 999 generally, the local police station number.) I'm hoping he keeps up this attitude about them. He loves his LikeABike, instead.

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 00:55:33

Bless him. I was very tolerant of it untill they blatently risked my sons health and safety. Speeding up and down road area is one thing, zooming up on the paved area is another.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 23-Jul-05 01:00:30

I really hate it everywhere. But I'm narrow-minded that way. It's quite tolerant of you to only lose patience when they're on the paved bits. (Any hope of talking to the parents in question?)

Any hope of the "you'll get sued" line? The property owners really might be vulnerable there ... nothing like fear of big losses to make people take action.

Flossam Sat 23-Jul-05 01:04:13

There were adults there at the time. I looked at them crossly, they just looked back at me blankly as though there was no problem. TBH, I am not 100% sure they are English speaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now