Talk

Advanced search

Alastair Campbell - shocking misuse of reflexive pronoun

(29 Posts)
ks Thu 26-Jun-03 07:36:11

Message withdrawn

ScummyMummy Thu 26-Jun-03 07:57:01

I sure a person like yourself will soon feel calmer! (sorry, couldn't resist)

phb Thu 26-Jun-03 09:21:50

Does my head in too ks!! The worst though is "your good selves" - whenver I hear it I can't hear the rest of the sentence for the explosions in my brain...

princesspeahead Thu 26-Jun-03 09:22:49

it's like people who say "my partner and myself went to cornwall..." instead of my partner and I. horrible!

WideWebWitch Thu 26-Jun-03 09:39:42

I love the title of this thread ks! Perhaps we should call in The Grammar Police?

breeze Thu 26-Jun-03 09:44:57

PPH, What about "Me and my partner".

princesspeahead Thu 26-Jun-03 09:45:08

shall we start another thread on misuse of apostrophes? or should I say apostrophe's aurghghghghghghg

I'm sure we could get it to well over 100 postings in record time!

princesspeahead Thu 26-Jun-03 09:46:49

you wouldn't say "me and my partner went to cornwall"! for the same reason that you wouldn't say "me went to cornwall"!

well, unless you were Tarzan, then you might say "me, Tarzan and you, Jane, went to cornwall"...

WideWebWitch Thu 26-Jun-03 09:49:33

PPH, don't know if you saw this thread (may have been before you joined) but you might find this interesting. It made many of us check and double check our postings for weeks

princesspeahead Thu 26-Jun-03 09:59:59

www - yup, there's a lot of good stuff in there! probably best not to repeat it all in another thread then...

never preview my posts I'm afraid, and type at about 100 miles an hour without looking at the keyboard (or often even the screen) so probably have a billion typos in every posting, ah well. but of course my speech is immaculate!

ks Thu 26-Jun-03 10:51:38

Message withdrawn

donnie Thu 26-Jun-03 11:32:21

I nearly hurled the radio into the dishwasher this morning when listening to the Radio 4 report on this very topic,when the reporter mentioned the BBC had accused Ali Cambell of 'sexing up' the dangers posed by Iraq's supposed WMD,aaaaargh !!!!!!! Why can't they say 'embellish'or exaggerate'or something halfway sensible????? am I a complete saddo for getting irate about these matters ?!

ks Thu 26-Jun-03 11:38:40

Message withdrawn

lucy123 Thu 26-Jun-03 12:07:08

ks, you are right about Alistair and the BBC.

Several times yesterday I heard them mention the "dodgy dossier" without saying "so-called".

It's tabloid TV. I think the worst I ever heard was a BBC reported saying that some kind of gun was "the weapon of choice" for a particular army (and I'm sure they took a lot of time oer their "choice" ). What happened to quality journalism?

It is down to people like ourselves to put it all right.

ks Thu 26-Jun-03 12:14:57

Message withdrawn

marialuisa Thu 26-Jun-03 12:15:49

You'd all love to have a chat with academics about their research. Everything is described as "sexy" or "unsexy", I find it quite amusing to hear 60 year old discussing "sexy surgical techniques", it just seems so wrong.

BTW, DH insists that one (ha!) should say "John and me", can't remember why thoogh.

aloha Thu 26-Jun-03 12:18:32

I really disagree with that. The 'dodgy dossier' refers to the February dossier, which was based on a student thesis pinched from the internet (!) but was passed off as government intelligence. Even Alistair Campbell has admitted it and apologised for it. It most certainly was 'dodgy'. The 'sexed up' dossier was the September one, the basis for the war, which suggested that Saddam had WMD which could be launched in 45 minutes - a claim that was patently untrue. The phrase 'sexed-up' wasn't invented by the BBC. It came from a senior intelligence source who told Andrew Gilligan that the original intelligence document did not contain this statement, and was sent back by Alistair Campbell to be 'sexed up' (the intelligence officer's description of the process) which information which the intelligence agencies did not think was reliable. I for one am very, very glad that this has been made public. I believe that I was lied to by our government and I think that's sinister.

lucy123 Thu 26-Jun-03 12:30:21

Don't get me wrong, Aloha - the dossier was very dodgy indeed. It's probably not a very good example as this case is quite clear cut, but the inquiry hasn't reported yet and it just seems wrong for the BBC to call it a "dodgy dossier".

In the circumstances though perhaps they could use the word "questionable", or even "the dossier currently under investigation" instead. But the BBC should not be simply jumping on loaded phrases used by other people in any circumstances. It's a good thing Alistair Campbell isn't up for a jury trial over this (although arguably he should be) - he would already have been found guilty.

aloha Thu 26-Jun-03 13:16:20

But he has already admitted it was wrong to take a student thesis from the internet and pass it off as government intelligence. They didn't even tell/credit the student! There is truly no doubt about it, even if, as Campbell claims it was a mistake (which I very much doubt, personally) it was still v dodgy! The inquiry (I believe - though could be wrong) is over the claims in the second dossier re the weapons claims in the Sept dossier. I suppose I feel strongly about this because I feel personally affronted about being lied to by people whose wages I pay!

griffy Thu 26-Jun-03 13:23:17

As well as the 'sexed-up' issue, the phrase that's really set my teeth on edge during this debacle has been the 'complete Horlicks'....

What on earth...?

prufrock Thu 26-Jun-03 13:35:44

Aloha I don't think that there isn't something seriously dodgy about the dossier - it's just the use of a semi-slang word like dodgy (and sexed-up) on the BBC. Why can't they call it the "wildly inaccurate dossier"?

prufrock Thu 26-Jun-03 13:35:50

Aloha I don't think that there isn't something seriously dodgy about the dossier - it's just the use of a semi-slang word like dodgy (and sexed-up) on the BBC. Why can't they call it the "wildly inaccurate dossier"?

prufrock Thu 26-Jun-03 13:36:10

aloha Thu 26-Jun-03 13:41:39

Well, I think that's how it's generally referred to everywhere. Maybe the February dossier would be more dignified, but it was v dodgy! As for 'sexed up', it's a quote from the senior intelligence source who leaked the information to the BBC defence correspondent to describe what Campbell asked them to do with the document. I don't quite know how you'd paraphrase it that would have quite the same meaning. I can really imagine Campbell using that phrase though.

aloha Thu 26-Jun-03 13:46:05

Well, I think that's how it's generally referred to everywhere. Maybe the February dossier would be more dignified, but it was v dodgy! As for 'sexed up', it's a quote from the senior intelligence source who leaked the information to the BBC defence correspondent to describe what Campbell asked them to do with the document. I don't quite know how you'd paraphrase it that would have quite the same meaning. I can really imagine Campbell using that phrase though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: