Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

CORNWALL MNers - ANYONE KNOW OF A HOUSE?

(18 Posts)
joash Thu 21-Jul-05 22:15:21

We are getting pretty desperate, we need a house to rent for between 6 and 12 months in the Camborne, Redruth, Pool area - pretty urgently. We can afford up to £800 per month, but they must allow pets (dog, cat, rabbit). Can anyone help?

joash Thu 21-Jul-05 22:56:14

BUMP

QueenOfQuotes Thu 21-Jul-05 22:59:02

here is a website that has some on.......worth giving them a ring?

QueenOfQuotes Thu 21-Jul-05 23:01:51

another one here

joash Thu 21-Jul-05 23:04:19

Thanks QueenOfQuotes - we are registered with loads of lettings agents and we've been offered six houses so far, but no-one takes pets. Thats the prob. We have the cat, dog and rabbit and everyone assumes that they'll damage something or make the house smell. we're struggling to find someone who'll take us all on as tenants

QueenOfQuotes Thu 21-Jul-05 23:46:45

Do you know anyone that could get hold of a local paper down there? Sometimes 'private' letters advertise in them??

joash Thu 21-Jul-05 23:49:11

Got it chuck - we have the West Briton delivered, still got thwe problem of the animals. I'm wondering if theres some way of putting them in kennels as a temp measure, renting short term and them trying to find somewhere that'll accept em once we're down there.

joash Fri 22-Jul-05 10:13:14

Anyone ?????

Ellbell Fri 22-Jul-05 11:04:44

Hi Joash

Nothing to add, really, I'm afraid. Not in contact with enough people down there these days. However, I've been in a similar situation of trying to rent somewhere with animals and it's always worth asking the agency if you can speak to the owner directly (rather than just taking the 'no pets' thing as read). They may agree to the pets if they speak to you and realise that you are A Responsible Person (which I'm sure you are!). You could (finances permitting) offer to pay a larger-than-normal deposit as surety against any damage the pets might do. Are you dependent on public transport or will you have a car? My experience is that the more 'countrified' the area, the more animal-friendly they are likely to be.

If you do go with the kennels idea, my dog is currently in what seems (according to my parents) to be a very nice kennels in Praze-an-Beeble (long story... my parents are dog-sitting for us, but they are away) and my parents use a lovely cattery in Hayle (Guildford Road).

Hope you find somewhere soon.

Puff Fri 22-Jul-05 11:07:47

Joash, there might be legal reasons to do with length of tenancy that would prevent this, but have you tried any of the holiday letting agencies? You might be able to negotiate a long let on a property that accepts animals.

Ellbell Fri 22-Jul-05 13:45:24

I thought of this too, Puff. Trouble is, at the moment places are likely to be booked up. If you were moving in October it'd be easier. AFAIK most of these places have a 10-month occupancy restriction to stop people using them as their main home, but if you could find somewhere Joash it'd tide you over till you could find s'thing permanent.

joash Fri 22-Jul-05 16:48:09

Thanks Ellbell and puff - I hadn't thought about the holiday let thing. It depends on the size - we have a lot of 'stuff' even though we've had a good old clear out, and I need somewhere large enough to fit my desk, etc - most holiday lets that are currently available are only two bedroom and furnished. We're also offering to pay extra, even double deposits - but so far no takers.

joash Fri 22-Jul-05 16:49:06

What annoys me most is that we'd been offered three houses and because of the court case, we had to turn them down. Now we're finding it difficult to get somewhere close to where we need to be.

Ellbell Fri 22-Jul-05 16:53:44

Can the college help you at all? Do they have an Accommodation Office?

joash Sun 24-Jul-05 18:27:11

There is an accommodation office, but they don't do family accommodation and can only help by giving a list of lettings agents - which we've worked our way through.

WestCountryLass Sun 24-Jul-05 21:24:47

Have you checked here:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/publicsite.PropertySearch

It is worth asking the agents to check with the owners as you are a responsible family. We were told the same when we were looking at renting but when we viewed properties and the agents discussed us with the owners they were fine about our cat.

Good luck!

PeachyClair Sun 24-Jul-05 21:54:22

We registered at lots of agencies when we moved and no-one ever got back to us, but when we went in, looked and then asked about our cat it wasn't an issue.

You've worried me now: rabbit from nursery boarding and didnt think to ask- he doesnt come out of hutch / run though, hope we dont get into trouble! They were going to take him to RSPCA otherwise.

joash Mon 25-Jul-05 10:23:33

Yep - tried right move. I think we've just about exhausted every avenue by the sound of it. We are also finding that regardless of how many agencies we are registered with, no-one contacts us. I am calling them every other day or checking their websites every day. One in particular is so bloody rude and IMO useless.
I called to register, they said that the person who maintained the register wasn't availabel, could I call back another day. I called two days later, to be told that they cannot accept registrations over the phone and they asked me to register online. Went on their website to register and it doesn't work. So, I called them again, to be told by another person that they ignore the list collated from the website anyway. Rang them last week expressing interest in one house in particular, to be told that they would check with the landlord to see if they would accept the pets. Been following that one up everyday, to be told that they have not yet received a reply from the landlord. Caled today to be informed by another worker that - that particular house was let earyl last week aaaarrrggghhh. _ I hate bloody incompetance!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now