Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do you do for childcare over the summer..

(13 Posts)
leonardodavinci Wed 20-Jul-05 21:00:44

Do you get the time off for 6 weeks, do relatives look after whilst you work or do you pay a small fortune for your little ones to be cared for?

hercules Wed 20-Jul-05 21:01:11

Be a teacher!

charliecat Wed 20-Jul-05 21:02:43

work termtime in a nursery, get the hols off.

KBear Wed 20-Jul-05 21:04:34

I work part-time and the children spend some time with DH (he works shifts) and the rest with my parents. Thank heavens for them!

What are you doing with yours then?

leonardodavinci Wed 20-Jul-05 21:05:57

might have to pay £100 for next 2 weeks for 3 days childcare, i only earn £25 a day so will be out of pocket by £25

leonardodavinci Wed 20-Jul-05 22:41:37

anyone else share their experiences.

katymac Wed 20-Jul-05 22:42:47

I'm a childminder and I run a holiday playscheme....but that doesn't help you......sorry

Caligula Wed 20-Jul-05 22:52:27

I work from home, so fit in a couple of hours work every evening, then they go to my Mum's for about a week to 10 days, come home again for another week, then go to my Aunt's for another week to ten days, then home again. I schedule in some time off over the course of the six weeks and it works out me taking about a third of my annual leave.

I could have booked my DS into a playscheme, but too complicated with tax credits etc. this year.

leonardodavinci Wed 20-Jul-05 22:55:52

thanks, but who has a p-t job in the summer, no in laws to help, and with dh at work you have to either pay or change your shifts, someone must be working in the summer too surely. Not all teachers/teaching assitants here.

Tortington Wed 20-Jul-05 23:24:41

we have a 15 yer old - the fact is he is more worry than the other two - but his age makes it seem more favourable when explaining. thing is its him who needs a babysitter.

Aimsmum Wed 20-Jul-05 23:34:04

Message withdrawn

Catsmother Thu 21-Jul-05 14:30:35

I'm now a SAHM (with 21 month old daughter) but worked f/t previously until my older child was 13+. Basically, I paid out a fortune in child care .... had no other choice as son's dad was useless and I was lucky if he managed to organise 1 week off for himself in summer holidays, even though he was self employed. I always used 2 weeks of my annual leave, trying to co-incide with my childminder's own holiday so I didn't have to pay for when he wasn't there (which wasn't always possible) but needed (and more than needed !) the other 3 weeks for Easter, Xmas, half etrms, inset days, ill days etc.

Holiday clubs were useless for me as I had to drop son off at 7.45am latest and could pick him up 6pm earliest. In all those years I never found any sort of care, other than nursery or childminding which came anywher close to the level of care I actually needed. And, in all that time, my retired mum never once offered to help out - even though she looked after my sister's kids one day a week for years ! And not a single other relative / friend ever helped me either.

The only way I could possibly manage the large holiday bills was for me and childminder to work out the total I'd be paying over the year and then divide it by 50, so each week was the same and there were no sudden drops in my usable income. This really only works though once you've established you're happy with the childminder.

Of course, the financial considerations paled into insignificance when compared to the huge guilt I felt at leaving son in childminder's all day - especially as he got a bit older and most of his friends were full of various activities they'd got up to. Unfortunately though, I believed I had no choice but to work at the time, though I was never a high earner and always struggled .... with hindsight, I wonder if I would have been better off working p/t and applying for benefits ?

elliott Thu 21-Jul-05 14:32:03

the latter option, unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now