Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone noticed how tense some threads get when they are..

(32 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jul-05 10:34:45

about possibly the least contencious issues?? (Sorry i cant spell very well) Or that people take things really personally and make personal comments. I think healthy well thought out debate is good but it seems hormones are running high on MN.

SoupDragon Wed 20-Jul-05 10:35:49

I'm waiting for the Smelly Sandal thread to kick off and turn bad.

fqueenzebra Wed 20-Jul-05 10:36:30

how dare you say that, what an outrage to imply that mothers are hormonal, can you possibly be in your right mind????? I'm flouncing now....
[insert tongue in cheek icon here]

MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jul-05 10:37:58

SD - of course it will..

Oh and lots of people flounce too!!

DaddyCool Wed 20-Jul-05 11:21:20

yes.

Caligula Wed 20-Jul-05 11:22:56

What d'you mean the least contentious issues? Is there any such thing as a non-contentious issue on Mumsnet?

DaddyCool Wed 20-Jul-05 11:25:32

it's interesting to see people making nasty, personal comments. how can you possibly make such personal comments on a website. you don't know the person, you've never met the person, it's nearly impossible to have a heated debate on a touchy subject because you can't look into the other person's eyes or express your tone.

WigWamBam Wed 20-Jul-05 11:37:45

Daddycool, I think it's precisely because you don't know the person and have never met the person that it can be easier for some posters to make nasty, personal comments. Because to some people, other posters aren't real people, they're just words on a screen, and because they can't see the person's reaction it's easier to be nastier online that it would be in real life.

QueenOfQuotes Wed 20-Jul-05 11:38:26

oooo - what's kicked off??? And where???

charliecat Wed 20-Jul-05 11:38:43

Im quite surprised we have never had a prosmoker on our quitting smoking threads

DaddyCool Wed 20-Jul-05 11:42:18

i don't think anything has kicked off this morning. it seems rather quiet.

QueenOfQuotes Wed 20-Jul-05 11:45:35

awwww - now I'm bitterly disappointed feel like getting my teeth into a good old debate

DaddyCool Wed 20-Jul-05 11:46:22

f* you wigwambam, who asked you anyway (just kidding!)

no, you're probably right. there is an easy out for an argument on line... you just log off or ignore where that is impossible in RL.

i guess you're also much more inclined to just speak your mind becaue you'll get no real backlash.

fqueenzebra Wed 20-Jul-05 11:46:57

working on it with the debt thread, QoQ...

TheOldDragon Wed 20-Jul-05 11:47:07

$$$$ off the lot of you. You're always whinging and whining about MN. Bah!

<<stomps off swishing tail>>

WigWamBam Wed 20-Jul-05 11:47:10

Ooooooooooh, get you

QueenOfQuotes Wed 20-Jul-05 11:47:51

ooo which debt thread???

DaddyCool Wed 20-Jul-05 11:51:10

well the smelly sandal thread hasn't kicked off yet, it looks like it died a death....

"smelly sandals, SMELLY SANDALS! you minger! FFS, get some new sandals... love your sandals indeed. how over-sensitive and selfish is that!?... do you expose your children to said sandals!?... they haven't got a chance poor little cherubs ..."

SoupDragon Wed 20-Jul-05 12:06:15

dare you!

WigWamBam Wed 20-Jul-05 12:08:03

I dare you, too

hatstand Wed 20-Jul-05 12:08:21

Awen - didn't you know? MN is like a nunnery - all our menstrual cycles have converged so we all get PMT at the same time.

Nightynight Wed 20-Jul-05 12:20:05

ha - good point

MN is the only place where you can get worked up about trivial yet important things. Imagine if people started having an earnest row about whether they call their son Little Man or not outside the school gate!

You'd be obliged to be very cool and polite and pretend that you never get upset about things like that - but on MN, you can say what you really think!

MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jul-05 12:37:56

RIGHT look her me luvlies... i got to pick up my little man in my minging sandals - ful of tomatoes and then I am going to start smoking again (not) cos it is so way cool and i got money to burn (def not). THen I am going to spend loads of time playing soldiers and guns with him so i can say i spend loads of 'quality time playing with him.. but then start another guns thread too. Ohh and guess what (this bit is true) - he was scared of having a nightmare last night so I let him crash in with me and he is 5 - rod my own back.. hmm better having him sleep in with me than dp who snores loudly esp with his snotty nose

marthamoo Wed 20-Jul-05 12:43:43

Awen, I hope you're giving him turkey twizzlers for his tea too

Fimbo Wed 20-Jul-05 12:45:22

LOL - Misread Hatstand's post as Nusery instead of Nunnery - suppose it can be a bit like a nursery at times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now