Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A really dumb Broadband question

(8 Posts)
Carla Wed 20-Jul-05 07:59:41

H's place of work is closing down at the end of August. They're selling off their computers cheaply - £100, with no software on them though.

My question is, are you allowed/is it possible to have a broadband connection to two pcs with only one subscription?

TIA

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 08:03:28

we have broadband connection to a main desktop computer and 2 laptops at home. one is one a wireless network aswell so would assume it can be done...although dh is the techno mind

Fran1 Wed 20-Jul-05 08:09:05

Yes we have four pc's on one connection, but dp is the techno freak in this house.

We use a router - which is one pc that takes the connection and networks to all others.

As you can see i am not technical and have no advice!! it can be done without a router, think you need to connect two pc's with network cables.

Furball Wed 20-Jul-05 20:32:45

Apparently (DH talking as I type) you need a broadband router with network connections and network cards for each pc or wireless network.

morningpaper Wed 20-Jul-05 20:34:28

hehe yes it's possible - you will need to network the pcs (either with cables or with a wireless network)

I'd suggest installing Win XP Home on them.

You will spend a fortune on the software though (Win XP / Office / antivirus)

throckenholt Wed 20-Jul-05 20:35:51

we have a pc and a laptop - and one broadband connection (usb port). We only have one connection to the router and so can only use one at a time.

Tinker Wed 20-Jul-05 20:39:55

A router reduces your chances of getting viruses as well.

pinotgrigio Wed 20-Jul-05 21:30:04

<adjusts uber-geek girl specs>

I have a 2mb broadband line coming into the house which I've connected directly into my router. The other PCs and separate wireless router are connected into this router too.

I have several PCs connected into the broadand line (via this router) and it all works fine.

I have windows firewall configured on our ethernet cards to protect us and local anti-virus software installed on the pcs too.

Some PCs are part of a local network and others aren't - as long as they have access to the router they pick up the internet (DSL) connection automatically.

Grab the PCs if you can. There is a lot of good shareware that can protect you from viruses and the routers can be bought quite cheaply now. Your broadband can be shared, so there's no problem there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now