Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP - Mr Muscle sitting in my plughole and will not budge

(41 Posts)
hester Tue 19-Jul-05 18:49:04

Anyone here know about unblocking sinks? Mine was getting clogged and the water going down slowly, so I stuck down a bottle of Mr Muscle for an hour. Followed the instructions on the back of the bottle but it had made it MUCH worse. It is now completely blocked - presumably the Mr Muscle stuff is now sitting on top of the original gunk. What do I do? Do I have to call a plumber or is it something i can fix myself?

Sorry for such a boring post. Oh, there are times when i wish I had a man around the place

Bellie Tue 19-Jul-05 18:51:10

Not much experience - but what about boiling water from a kettle straight down? Not sure if it will disolve the mr muscle or not i'm afraid, but everytime I have a problem with my sinks I boil a kettle and pour away...

Whizzz Tue 19-Jul-05 18:54:15

Can you poke anything down to try & mix up Mr M with the gunk ? Do you know where its blocked - if its the U bend (& you are brave) you could try & take it off (v carefully & with gloves on with the Mr M in there too)

snafu Tue 19-Jul-05 18:54:30

Sorry, only read title, though it was another fishfinger thread....

<<cackle>>

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 19:13:41

I STARTED with a boiling kettle and it did help a bit. Then put down the Mr Muscle and am now loath to keep adding liquid when it is refusing to go down. Maybe I'll start off giving it a poke with something, then if it shifts down try some boiling water, then if that fails have a cry

You woudn't believe I was raised by a committed feminist, could you? It worked so well with my brothers, who can do EVERYTHING (cook, clean, put up shelves, fix computers, mind babies), whereas I tend to break down in hysterics at the slightest domestic challenge. Any plumber/electrician/handymaqn who enters this flat immediately sizes me up (like a shark scenting blood) and charges double the usual rate. I feel like Red Riding Hood in the forest...

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 19:14:59

But thanks Whizzz and Bellie . snafu, I did suspect that this thread was SO boring I had to put in some kind of double entendre to attract interest...

Whizzz Tue 19-Jul-05 19:15:33

It may be a solid blockage of something rather than something Mr M can dissolve ?

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 19:19:58

Oh blimey, trying to imagine what a solid blockage could be

Hausfrau Tue 19-Jul-05 19:20:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Tue 19-Jul-05 19:21:04

Can you put a bucket underneath the sink and unscrew that U-bendy bit?

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 19:21:44

Greasy, with little bits floating upwards!

Whizzz Tue 19-Jul-05 19:22:07

..but be careful if Mr Muscle is still hanging about - nasty if you get it in your eyes/ skin

Aimsmum Tue 19-Jul-05 19:23:11

Message withdrawn

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 19:24:23

Soupy, I will give it a go. [Said bravely, and feeling like being sick/bursting into tears] This always happens on the worst days, doesn't it? I'm seven months pregnant and off sick with a horrible vomiting bug. I am on my own tonight. This is the LAST thing I feel like tackling but I will be very brave and grown-up and tackle it (just as soon as I've eaten some pizza and a slice of cake ).

thanks for advice, everyone. I'm going in... I may be gone some time.

Hausfrau Tue 19-Jul-05 19:25:59

hester Tue 19-Jul-05 19:27:33

Aimsmum, many thanks. Right ladies, I am fully prepared with rubber gloves, newspaper, bucket and knitting needle. Blockage, prepare to meet your doom...

Aimsmum Tue 19-Jul-05 19:28:51

Message withdrawn

merryberry Tue 19-Jul-05 19:52:44

It's nearly 30 minutes since you last posted. Am wishing you safe, well and dry

If not, say sod it have a nice cup of tea. Or entire bottle of plonk.

Aimsmum Tue 19-Jul-05 20:22:29

Message withdrawn

Bellie Tue 19-Jul-05 20:50:55

Any news???

tillykins Tue 19-Jul-05 20:53:04

Gosh Hester! Are you okay? Has Mr Muscle sucked you down the plug hole?

SaintGeorge Tue 19-Jul-05 20:54:50

Take all the bits of pipework outside, poke a hosepipe down and blast any gunk out with a jet of water.

Probably a piece of advice that would have been more helpful before you started with the knitting needles.

Bellie Tue 19-Jul-05 21:51:56

Hope you are OK Hester and Mr Muscle hasn't trapped you under the sink!! Am off to bed now so wont get to hear tonight if you managed to clear it till tomorrow now!

jampots Tue 19-Jul-05 21:53:31

I find neat lemon juice works a treat on most things plug based

Hausfrau Wed 20-Jul-05 08:55:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now