Talk

Advanced search

goldfish?

(15 Posts)
peaceandlight Tue 19-Jul-05 15:45:46

does anyone have goldfish in a glass bowl? Am i spposed to have something under it to stop it cracking or can i put it straight on the kithchen top?

SoupDragon Tue 19-Jul-05 15:48:34

I don't think you need to put anything underneath.

Janh Tue 19-Jul-05 15:50:13

Not one of those old-fashioned round bowls, pal? You're not supposed to use those because there isn't much surface area, so not much oxygen gets in.

Anyway to answer your question - sorry! - you don't have to put anything underneath, but I do under mine. (You shouldn't have it anywhere the sun can strike it either - can you tell I just got a fish and have been swotting up? - because it makes the water go green faster.)

DaddyCool Tue 19-Jul-05 16:16:44

goldfish are incredibly hardy fish. a big bowl really should do fine. they don't need air bubbles or intense filtering or temp control like other tropical fish. you shouldn't need to put anything under.

Kelly1978 Tue 19-Jul-05 16:19:23

i would put something under - my mates cracked cos she didn't, it can happen. I've got a thin layer of polystyrene under my tank.

okapi Tue 19-Jul-05 16:19:50

re Janh's point about round bowls, only fill the water level to half way so that the maximum surface area is available to the air

peaceandlight Tue 19-Jul-05 17:16:59

thanx, it's a big bowl and i have only filled it haf way. It would have been really heavy otherwise.

ds1 and ds2 are at this moment putting names for it into a hat

probably because this is the only pet i will allow (allergies) they are chuffed to bits!

woollybaalamp Tue 19-Jul-05 23:13:39

Have you only got one atm, pal? DS2 won one at a fair the other week and it seemed a bit twitchy on its own, so when we went to the petshop to buy a tank and gravel and stuff we bought another and they seem very happy together

peaceandlight Tue 19-Jul-05 23:26:35

yes, it's just the one
and whats all this pal business?

MamaMaiasaura Tue 19-Jul-05 23:35:52

DC - they are also stupid.. my ds new one decided to explore the filter.. that or he was pushed!

peaceandlight Tue 19-Jul-05 23:37:10

come to think of it the last goldfish i owned made a jump for it and i found it dead on the kitchen floor in the morning

woollybaalamp Tue 19-Jul-05 23:37:59

Peace-And-Light - I always abbreviate to initials, unfortunately your initials make up a random other word altogether - shall put p-a-l in future!

peaceandlight Tue 19-Jul-05 23:39:12

oh yeah, how thick of me!
mind you, i do keep changing my name so i can't keep up with my own initials!

woollybaalamp Tue 19-Jul-05 23:40:25

Who were you before?

peaceandlight Wed 20-Jul-05 19:28:36

now that would be telling

guess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now