Talk

Advanced search

laser eye surgery - for Paolosgirl

(19 Posts)
gingerbear Sun 17-Jul-05 19:27:55

I had LASIK - they cut a flap in the cornea and laser underneath it. It was nervewracking, but not painful. They put anasthetic eye drops in - they last about 1 hour. After that my eyes were sensitive to sunlight, I had to wear sunglasses, and they were red, gritty and watery for a few hours, but the next day was fine. LASEK (no flap) is more painful afterwards - the soreness lasts longer, but you do have lots of drops to use for a week - antibiotics, steroids to reduce the swelling and lubricating drops to help alleviate dry eyes.
Best thing I have ever done. I am amazed that I have gone from being very shortsighted, and with astigmatism, to having near perfect vision in a little over two weeks (the corneas are still healing, so it will be up to 3 months before my vision is completely stable.)

hunkermunker Sun 17-Jul-05 19:29:13

Sounds amazing, GB! Glad you've had such a good result - it's lovely to be able to see, isn't it?!

gingerbear Mon 18-Jul-05 10:14:22

bump

Hulababy Mon 18-Jul-05 10:16:21

Didn't realise you'd had this done GB. I am trying to drop hints to DH about having my eyes done. Must find out more. Think it is the initial cost outlay that is putting Dh off, esp as we have so much going on with the house, etc. but I am really keen as my lenses are driving me mad.

hunkermunker Mon 18-Jul-05 10:20:32

HB, what prescription are you and where do you live? Search MN for ortho-k and my name and you'll find out what I do with my eyes that gives me 20/20 vision Not suitable for everyone, or widely available yet, but give them a go!

Hulababy Mon 18-Jul-05 10:26:25

I am in Sheffield.

My eyes are not that bad TBH. Not got a glasses prescription right now. My lens prescription is:

LEFT
PWR = -2.75
BC = 8.6
CT = 0.100
DIA = 13.8

RIGHT
PWR = -3.00
BC = 8.6
CT = 0.100
DIA = 13.8

Not sure if that helps though.

Hulababy Mon 18-Jul-05 10:28:25

Oh, the lenses thing. I read about it on here before I think.

Gumdrop Mon 18-Jul-05 16:25:19

GB - what prescription were you? I'm bottle bottom glasses type, and it would be nice to know that someone like me had it go smoothly.

gingerbear Mon 18-Jul-05 17:10:32

-7 &-6.5, with -1.25 astigmatism. They did say that I might still need reading glasses as I get older (one advantage of being so short sighted is that you often don't need reading specs later on.)

MaloryTowers Mon 18-Jul-05 17:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chipmonkey Mon 18-Jul-05 17:15:28

Hula, what type of contact lens do you use, do you know the brand?

Hulababy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:58:34

No idea. They are just medium priced ones from Specsavers. Nothing flash here.

However, having heard more from Gingerbear - thanks - I will have to wait until I have finished TTC and been g before I can think about it further.

edam Tue 19-Jul-05 21:23:51

Um, I don't want to alarm anyone, but there are very real risks of serious side-effects with Lasik and Lasek. I was involved in some research on this a couple of years ago. The very basic message is that almost all short- or long-sighted eye surgeons wear glasses. For a reason.

This link gives much more detail about the safey issue but unfortunately the way Which?/Consumers' Association works is that you have to sign up for a free trial to get the info (they don't take advertising so their work is funded entirely from subscriptions):

chipmonkey Wed 20-Jul-05 12:07:35

Hula, I'm an optometrist and am just back off maternity leave but my colleagues have been having great success with a newish lens called Acuvue Oasis, seems to be very good for people whose lenses are giving them grief! They let loads of oxygen through and don't dehydrate easily. Might be worth checking them out with your optom. They would be more expensive but maybe worth looking at in the short-term if you're not going for LASIK just yet?

Hulababy Wed 20-Jul-05 12:39:44

I will have a look into that, thanks. I have having problems as my lenses won't stay in my eyes! I already know that I get dry eye, and do use drops. But it is a pain. I do like daily ones though - got a eye ulcer a year or so ago, and that was very painful!

chipmonkey Wed 20-Jul-05 12:58:16

An ulcer is soooo painful! Huls if you had an ulcer they might not allow yout o have LASIK, you'd need to check that out.

gingerbear Wed 20-Jul-05 13:00:38

Edam, I read the report. I was aware of the risks - my optician is good friends with a surgeon at Moorfields. I waited for years for the technique to advance to the stage where my prescription could be treated successfully. I wanted the procedure done at Moorfields, but couldn't afford £4000 and it is too far from where I live to attend all the aftercare check-ups. One of the reasons I chose Ultralase is that they were very upfront with the risks, and publish results/complications freely.

I also advise ANYONE contemplating LASIK to look into it in depth before deciding to go ahead. It was not a decision I took lightly.

gingerbear Wed 20-Jul-05 13:01:26

severe dry eyes is another contraindication to surgery.

Hulababy Wed 20-Jul-05 13:04:12

It isn't severe, just there IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now