Talk

Advanced search

my poly morphic light erupter!!!!!!

(13 Posts)
strugstu Sun 17-Jul-05 00:20:18

my poor dd was diagnosed with poly morphic light eruption this week- she is currently on anti-biotics as GP thought spots were infected. Any one any experience of this -or any tips?

strugstu Sun 17-Jul-05 12:40:58

bumpty bump please

potty1 Sun 17-Jul-05 13:13:44

I have this strugsu - it's bloody awful .

Your poor dd. How old is she?

I've had it since I was pg with my last child. During that pregnancy I became sort of allergic to the cold - big fat nettle rash, then the following summer started with PLE.

I am very careful in the Spring and beginning of Summer to only have very short bursts in the sun, never without protection. I've found that for me the Boots Soltan range is best as it has a really good UVA protection. I also take anti - histamines and this year seem to have finally settled on one that works without making me feel rough - Fexofenadine. I seem to be allergic to Piriton, FGS!! I've read that Beta-carotene can help if you take it early in the season, but it might not be suitable for a child and you risk turning a bit orangey if you take too much - I haven't tried it lol!

I've been really careful this year as I was dreadful last summer and touch wood I just had a tiny outbreak when we had an early sunny weekend that caught me out. Going to Majorca on Thursday so hopefully it won't ruin another holiday.

strugstu Sun 17-Jul-05 16:13:33

thanks potty - poor thing, my dd is 18 and very self concious of the rash- she was out all last weekend cycling and generally enjoying the sunshine and by tuesday she looked liked she had measles!!!
will get the soltan from boots - do you know where i'll get beta carotene - ? health shop?
thanks again x

WigWamBam Sun 17-Jul-05 16:19:34

I suffer with this too, and can only second what Potty said. Loads and loads of the highest factor sunscreen to block the UVA, and keep well covered up. Anti-histamines don't help me, so it's just a matter of keeping covered.

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 17:27:59

What is the difference between PLE and prickly heat, anybody?

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 17:33:38

Ohhh, just looked it up, I have it too - I've always called it prickly heat but apparently that comes up under your clothes. PLE is worst in our usual kind of summer where we get a bit of sun and then none and then a bit more - guarantees an eruption every time you go out the door.

(My kids get it too, but usually on top of suntan, which is a bit odd.)

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 17:38:21

Somebody on MN with a child with sensitive skin recommended Ultrasun factor 17 - it's a once-a-day application and it says "Tiny golden "glimmers" raise protection by deflecting the sun's rays and add an attractive golden glow to the surface of the skin." - might be nice for your dd, strugstu.

potty1 Sun 17-Jul-05 17:49:57

WWB - I've tried loads of anti-histamines and this current one is the only one that's ever touched it. It's prescribed as Telfast 180 and I have to take it for a couple of days before sun exposure - pretty difficult to organise with our unpredictable weather. Maybe worth a try for you though?

Strugsu - has your dd recently started on the Pill (sorry personal question) but that can sometimes make you more photosensitive. My GP thinks this all started with pg hormones but that was 11 years ago!

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 17:57:41

potty - mine started the summer after I started on the pill! I'd never considered that before.

(I was 19 and it was one of those really high dose ones they used to prescribe in the 60s and 70s)

potty1 Sun 17-Jul-05 18:25:52

Definitely think there's something in the hormone link Jan - plus I've read that it affects more women than men and more often in women under 30.

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 18:36:57

Sounds very likely then, potty. (There are lots of random hormones in milk and meat these days, too, aren't there?)

Hope your anti-histamine gets you through your holiday without lumps Do your kids get it?

strugstu Sun 17-Jul-05 22:35:26

yes potty recently started the pill (spring time) she wont take a break either (which makes me worry she's pg - but thats another story and a whole different thread!!!)

thanks every one for advice- it is much appreciated xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: