Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done an MBA?

(8 Posts)
mancmum Sat 16-Jul-05 13:29:50

I am in the midst of mid life crisis from hell mainly caused by huge boredom at work... am a manager of sorts--- not qualified in any way bar a masters degree in IT... have been thinking about doing an MBA as a way of developing better management skills ... which might help with opening doors to more interesting jobs...

BUT... it is a lot of work, quite expensive and would it be worthwhile... have any of you done one and seen the benefit?

kama Sat 16-Jul-05 13:34:30

Message withdrawn

GetOrlaithOut Sat 16-Jul-05 13:59:45

I only did the first year (because it was funded by work and I left work, had a baby....) and it is very hard work with working as well. I'd imagine even worse if you've got children.

I enjoyed it though and at the end of the first year I still got a management qualification.

Not sure if it's made any difference but can't be a hinderance can it?

franke Sat 16-Jul-05 14:02:24

I've done one. It depends what you mean by seeing the benefit really. I was like you - bored at work, feeling a bit brain dead and sort of a manager. Found the course immensely stimulating, very hard work (I did it part-time while still working) and obviously learnt loads. But then I got pregnant, took a year off from the course, left work, had dd then went and finished (and passed) my MBA when dd was about 6mo. I haven't been back to work since.

I think you need to capitalise on it pretty quickly if you want to move on to bigger and better things (which I haven't). Also, if you are going to do it go for the best you can afford - MBA from the London Bus. School is rather better regarded than one from Westminster Poly/Uni (I didn't do either) but it is a very real consideration.

GetOrlaithOut Sat 16-Jul-05 14:29:32

Forgot to say I did mine through OU.

beetroot Sat 16-Jul-05 14:32:40

Message withdrawn

outofsync Sat 16-Jul-05 15:11:56

I've done one at Manchester Business School. It was VERY hard work. I didn't have kids at the time but several people did and I know they found it very difficult.

Having said all that I did manage to get a much better job afterwards, doubling my salary, and alot of it was great fun. Cost wise it was a big drain, but not 2 bad if you have a partner to support you through it. Definitely has given me access to jobs i wouldn't have had before.

mancmum Sat 16-Jul-05 16:12:15

Beetroot -- thanks for the offer of talking to you DH --will cat you about that later tonight as am now rushing off to 2nd kids party today --- quite when I would do an MBA is very apparent today...

But it does sound like everyone is very positive about it ...outofsync I was thinking about MBS -- sounds like you would recommend it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now