Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's Central London like at present?

(10 Posts)
beatie Sat 16-Jul-05 08:56:07

DH and I are supposed to go to London in about 10 days for a matinee theatre performance.

I'm apprehensive about travelling in London. I'm usually more rational about these things but I will be almost 8 months pregnant and so feeling especially vulnerable.

I think I am more fearful of stations being shut down or evacuated due to scares more than I am thinking I would statistically manage to get caught up in another terrorist attack. I'd find it difficult to move quickly and traumatic to end up stranded.

Are tube stations, mailine stations, public areas being shutdown regularly at present or is it just the odd one the odd day?

Suddenly I feel like a fool for booking this trip in the middle of summer, when I would be so heavily pregnant, regardless of the dreadful occurrences of last week.

fisil Sat 16-Jul-05 09:00:26

tbh beatie I stopped going into centraol london before i was 8 months - i just found it too much with crowded trains, walking around and the heat (and that was in march!)

Prufrock Sat 16-Jul-05 09:07:21

DH has been travelling around Central London all last week pretty much as normal. There is still no Piccadilly line or Circle line, and only a limited service on city and Met, and the District line is stopping at High St Ken rather than Edgeware road. But apart from that its businesss as usual - he hasn't seen any station closures.

Which station are you going into and when? Would it be feasible to get a cab to Covent Garden instead of having to use the tube?

batters Sat 16-Jul-05 09:40:06

beatie, there are station closures going on at the moment at very short notice. If I were you I would have a couple of alternative routes just in case you have to use them. Have a look at the tfl website, print off some routes and you might feel better about the whole travel experience?

And as prufrock says cabbing is a good alternative.

beatie Sat 16-Jul-05 10:08:14

A cab is a good idea. I need to get from Waterloo to the Picadilly Circus area. How much do you think that would cost?

Prufrock Sat 16-Jul-05 10:27:13

Dh reckons £10-12, but Waterloo is not his usual stomping ground.

Waterloo to Piccadilly circus is only 3 stops on the Bakerloo line though, so it's a fairly easy trip

batters Sat 16-Jul-05 11:39:40

proabably just under £10 I think beatie.

GeorginaA Mon 18-Jul-05 19:29:24

We spent £12 for a cab from Victoria to Covent Garden under heavy traffic - not sure if that's a comparable distance?

jampots Mon 18-Jul-05 19:55:31

beatie - when i was heavily pregnant I got caught up in "music festival" traffic at Birmingham Snow Hill so not even a huge station. Managed to get on the train but felt so claustrophobic and faint that I decided to get off at Moor Street (next stop) which was a truly stupid thing to do as that station was even more packed being closer to New Street. I tried to fight my way to the stairs until I noticed they were full too and genuinely feared for my and my baby's safety so hitched a lift with the ticket man at the back of the train. Wouldnt even dream of going into London but if you do definitely take a cab for your own sanity if nothing else.

beatie Wed 20-Jul-05 17:53:08

Oh no! Now I don't know what to do. Anyone else have an opinion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now