Talk

Advanced search

How can I get rid of my old sofas??? Urgent help needed. I only have 3 days!

(25 Posts)
Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:30:39

Ok, We have 2 large 3 seater sofas, one of which has a large rectangular matching footstool.
The one woth the footstool is in quite good condition (could do with a clean) and the other is in impecable condition except our dog has bit 2 holes in one of the arms.

We have been given estimates for repairing the damage and have been told it will be £300. Whilst we were debating the repair we spotted a bargain for a 3 and 2 seater leather recliner sofas for £699! Obviously we bought them.

We were told at first it would take 2 weeks for delivery, then in the 1st week while we were away they told us it would be 12 weeks due to some faults however this morning they've rung and said they are delivering on Wednesday

So... what the hell are we supposed to do with our sofas???
They are too big for a car or people carrier, my next options are the council (for pick up) if they can do it that quick or the hospice but don't know if they would take them in the conditions they are in.

Any more suggestions?

SenoraPostrophe Fri 15-Jul-05 20:33:17

ebay em

giraffeski Fri 15-Jul-05 20:33:20

Message withdrawn

gingerbear Fri 15-Jul-05 20:34:07

Doncaster council do furniture recycling - do Barnsley council have something like that? They will pick up feurniture for free if it is in re-usable condition (they go to charity)

Hang on I will google -there is a recycling network.

SenoraPostrophe Fri 15-Jul-05 20:34:09

don't take them to the tip if they just have holes in. what a waste!

you could call all the local charity shops which take furniture and ask them.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:35:22

No time for ebay they need to be gone by first thing Wednesday morning at the very very very latest.

And chopping them up seems such a shame because they could be ok for someone else and tbh I don't know how the hec you would go about chopping them up!

SaintGeorge Fri 15-Jul-05 20:35:31

Freecycle

SenoraPostrophe Fri 15-Jul-05 20:35:56

you can do a short auction can't you? till monday?

SaintGeorge Fri 15-Jul-05 20:36:19

Or ring the local adult education centre and see if they run a course in upholstering - if they do they might take them for working on in class.

spidermama Fri 15-Jul-05 20:36:54

There are charities, and also councils, who come and collect furniture for recycling.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:37:19

It's the time I have a problem with. The last time the council picked up it took over a week.

If some one could repair the leather it would be a steal as the sofas only 18 months old. The other one is 4 years but in good nic.

gingerbear Fri 15-Jul-05 20:38:15

feurniture WTF is that??

Kendray Furniture Recycling is what you need.
Or there is one in Grimethorpe.

SaintGeorge Fri 15-Jul-05 20:39:26

Have a look at the Freecycle link I posted. If you are honest about the description you might well find someone interested and if it is on a site local to you collection is usually pretty quick.

I have got rid of things in 24 hours.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 15-Jul-05 20:39:34

Call your local OAP home, they may take them off your hands.

Surfermum Fri 15-Jul-05 20:39:59

Try the Salvation Army.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:42:04

Excellent guys, thank you soooo much!

GB, Is the one in Kendray the hospice? Thats where their shop is on Stair Foot.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:42:06

Excellent guys, thank you soooo much!

GB, Is the one in Kendray the hospice? Thats where their shop is on Stair Foot.

katierocket Fri 15-Jul-05 20:43:58

by the way, for anyone to accept them (even a charity) they must have fire warning labels on them. Come as standard with all modern sofas.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:45:31

Thanks KR. One has one on and the other we have in a draw.

gingerbear Fri 15-Jul-05 20:49:56

Kendray Furniture Recycling Centre
105-107 Farm Road
Barnsley S70 3DL
01226 215495
Not sure if that is Stairfoot or not NBG.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:52:32

Oh thanks GB, thats a real help.

I've now got a long list of people to call now. The council will be last on my list, like I said they're too good to throw out.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 20:53:02

PS GB are you going to Cannon Hall?

If you are will see you there.

gingerbear Fri 15-Jul-05 20:55:33

DD got really upset when the Donny recyclers came to collect the 'Dog' sofa (old, but expensive Italian leather 3-seater that our dog had started using as his bed)

'but mummy, where will Maxy sleep now?' Sob Sob.

gingerbear Fri 15-Jul-05 20:55:59

yep. we love Cannon Hall.

Nbg Fri 15-Jul-05 21:01:54

Cool.

Bless your dd. The footstool is or was our dogs bed. Not that he uses it now as it's locked in the conservatory so he can't get to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: