Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for First Birthday Party

(9 Posts)
cosi Fri 15-Jul-05 14:34:30

It my Ds's first birthday next month and I would like to arrange a small birthday party/tea for him. The babies I would like to invite are all 1 year and under. I havent got the first clue on how to arrange a party as I have never had one. Main issues are what food to prepare or what activites they could do? Could anyone who has experience of parties for this age group offer me any advice? I dont live near my family and they cant make it so its just going to be friends and their babies.

jibberjabber Fri 15-Jul-05 14:54:35

How many are going? Do you have a garden?

We were going to get one of those huge garden covers(Like a mini marquee) and set up toys etc under that with paddling pool filled with balls. Had ideas of music session for babies etc then everyone decided they'd like to do to a pub garden instead - it was bliss. Very happy parent and even happier babies under a tree with loads of toys.

cosi Fri 15-Jul-05 14:56:25

There will be about 6 babies with parents, we have a garden and it would be nice to get outside if its nice.

cosi Fri 15-Jul-05 14:59:22

Must say pub garden does sound like a great idea, we have just moved so I will check out the local at the weekend to see if their garden is suitable.

ja9 Fri 15-Jul-05 15:01:12

my ds ist birthday is coming up too. i too feel the pressure to be inventive about a birthday gathering... but i really dont think he would realise he is getting 'different ' food or 'party' food...
so we are going to go swimming in the morning with him - his absolute favourite thing, and then in the afternoon invite friends with little ones around to share his birthday cake. i will just set up toys around the living room or garden for this - it wont be anything very different to what he normally does in an afternoon.

just do something nice for the parents, have plenty of toy things out and birthday balloons, cake?

jibberjabber Fri 15-Jul-05 15:02:22

what about hiring a cover unless you have a nice shady spot under some trees. You could lay down lots of cushions for parents and babies. Bring out all of your toys for them to amuse themselves with. have music in the background too.

Perhaps find out what the babies are eating atm. Some tastes will differ. Perhaps light finger foods. Mini sandwiches cut into squares, steamed veggies/dips/cold tortilla/cold home made pizza/lots of soft fruits/

I think at this age the more relaxed it is the nicer it will be.

We took a photo of all the babies lined up together and sent each baby a framed print after the party as a keepsake.

jibberjabber Fri 15-Jul-05 15:04:31

cosi I would pop down and visit as many as you can (all in the name of research to see what their gardens are like - don't get a 'family room' yuk )

If you do decide on a pub, make sure the tables are well spaced apart with lots of room of inquisitive toddlers to roam without nicking your next tables' pint!

cosi Fri 15-Jul-05 15:10:21

Sounds like I can relax about it and let everyone do their own thing as long as toys are available! I will carry out a bit of pub research (any excuse!) and just go with the flow. When is your DS's birthday Ja9? Mine is the 22nd Aug

ja9 Fri 15-Jul-05 23:02:41

29th august cosi! just a week apart!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now