Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me come up with a good excuse?

(23 Posts)
LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:40:37

I have changed my name in hope that the person in question is not an MNer.

I have been invited to an evening reception of a wedding that I do not want to go to. I am more than happy to buy a gift ect, but I need a reason not to go!

It is the wedding of a friends sister who I used to be fairly close to a few years ago, but not so now!

The main problem is the reception is quite far away and I don't drive, so although getting there shouldn't be too much of a problem, getting home would cost me a fortune if I had to get a cab, although they are putting on a bus afterwards to the nearest city centre this will be leaving until 1am and I would still then have to get a taxi from there.

Also as I do not have a partner I have just been invited on my own (I was hoping for an "and partner" on my invite so I could have brought a friend) it means I wont really know that many people that well, and I have visions of ending up sitting myself!! And I would also have to do the late night home on my own.

I'm not complaining as I know people have to keep numbers down etc, and obviously I don't want to tell them the real reason for not coming, as it does sound quite pathetic, but I really don't want to do it!

So, any good excuses wise MNers?

Windermere Fri 15-Jul-05 11:41:49

I would just pretend that you have another wedding reception to go to or 30th birthday or something.

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:42:29

Can you not just say you're going away that weekend?

GetMakosiorVanessaorOrlaithOut Fri 15-Jul-05 11:43:11

Me too - fabricate a family get together for someone's 30th, 40th, 50th, silver wedding - whatever. Something you can't get out of and is obviously more important than said wedding.

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:45:26

I am very friendly with her sister, who will know that I am not going away for the weekend, but I suppose I could have booked it in the last few days

I was thinking about saying I had another thing on the same night (a 40th or something) but worried it sounded a bit lame?

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:46:01

Or just say you're sick the day before

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:47:42

But then I would feel guilty because they might have been able to use my place for someone else, or would that not really matter with an evening guest?

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 11:47:54

Do you have to come up with a reason? A 'friend' (much history, won't bore you) of mine invited us to her wedding a while back, I didn't want to go, so I just replied (in writing) with sorry we can't make it, have a lovely time, best wishes for the future etc. etc. I didn't buy her a present either (lots of history!) but as I wasn't likely to see her face-to-face that was do-able.

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:48:21

WOuld only matter as a ceremony/meal guest surely?

Furball Fri 15-Jul-05 11:48:21

Could you not have a mysterious tummy bug on the day?

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:48:50

moo! why you no answer my email?

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 11:49:55

So you have to give the sister a reason. Yeah, family something - Golden Wedding Anniversary or 8oth birthday party, something similar. If your friend is a good friend can't you just say you don't want to go - for the reasons you've put.

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 11:50:10

What email?

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:51:20

or if it's just for the evening do i'm sure they won't mind you taking a guest if you ask them?

moo - i was trying to discuss Kevin on the books thread but you disappeared

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 11:55:00

Why don't you actually go away for the weekend and then you can use that as a genuine excuse? Or say that your husband booked it without checking the dates with you.

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 11:56:07

Sorry just re-read your entire story. Shouldn't have said husband. Duh!

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:58:49

I just think my reasons for not going are a bit pathetic, and I know I will get "but you can sit with such and such" but when everyone else is with partners and I am the only one on my own, I will feel a bit of an odd man out. Normally this doesn't bother me at any other time, but does at weddings!! And I don't really want to have to ask to bring anyone with me, I would feel a bit funny about doing that.

Sorry I do think I am getting a bit carried away with the whole thing now and they will not even notice if I am there or not!

I think I will go with Marthamoo's letter, a birthday I can't get out of, and pass a gift on through the sister!

Thanks everyone for putting it into perspective!

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 12:00:00

WOMBAT - Finding a husband to book the weekend would be quite an achievement in 3 weeks

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 12:13:54

Oh I forgot about Kevin!

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 12:15:14

Sorry LittleWhiteLie, I deserve a slap on the wrist for that.

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 12:17:01

Don't be silly, you really made me laugh!

Now there's an excuse, "I've found myself a husband and we are off for the weekend together!"

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 12:22:05

I dare you to use that one

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 12:24:51

Everyone would think I had finally lost it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: