Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me come up with a good excuse?

(23 Posts)
LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:40:37

I have changed my name in hope that the person in question is not an MNer.

I have been invited to an evening reception of a wedding that I do not want to go to. I am more than happy to buy a gift ect, but I need a reason not to go!

It is the wedding of a friends sister who I used to be fairly close to a few years ago, but not so now!

The main problem is the reception is quite far away and I don't drive, so although getting there shouldn't be too much of a problem, getting home would cost me a fortune if I had to get a cab, although they are putting on a bus afterwards to the nearest city centre this will be leaving until 1am and I would still then have to get a taxi from there.

Also as I do not have a partner I have just been invited on my own (I was hoping for an "and partner" on my invite so I could have brought a friend) it means I wont really know that many people that well, and I have visions of ending up sitting myself!! And I would also have to do the late night home on my own.

I'm not complaining as I know people have to keep numbers down etc, and obviously I don't want to tell them the real reason for not coming, as it does sound quite pathetic, but I really don't want to do it!

So, any good excuses wise MNers?

Windermere Fri 15-Jul-05 11:41:49

I would just pretend that you have another wedding reception to go to or 30th birthday or something.

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:42:29

Can you not just say you're going away that weekend?

GetMakosiorVanessaorOrlaithOut Fri 15-Jul-05 11:43:11

Me too - fabricate a family get together for someone's 30th, 40th, 50th, silver wedding - whatever. Something you can't get out of and is obviously more important than said wedding.

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:45:26

I am very friendly with her sister, who will know that I am not going away for the weekend, but I suppose I could have booked it in the last few days

I was thinking about saying I had another thing on the same night (a 40th or something) but worried it sounded a bit lame?

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:46:01

Or just say you're sick the day before

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:47:42

But then I would feel guilty because they might have been able to use my place for someone else, or would that not really matter with an evening guest?

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 11:47:54

Do you have to come up with a reason? A 'friend' (much history, won't bore you) of mine invited us to her wedding a while back, I didn't want to go, so I just replied (in writing) with sorry we can't make it, have a lovely time, best wishes for the future etc. etc. I didn't buy her a present either (lots of history!) but as I wasn't likely to see her face-to-face that was do-able.

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:48:21

WOuld only matter as a ceremony/meal guest surely?

Furball Fri 15-Jul-05 11:48:21

Could you not have a mysterious tummy bug on the day?

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:48:50

moo! why you no answer my email?

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 11:49:55

So you have to give the sister a reason. Yeah, family something - Golden Wedding Anniversary or 8oth birthday party, something similar. If your friend is a good friend can't you just say you don't want to go - for the reasons you've put.

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 11:50:10

What email?

spacedonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 11:51:20

or if it's just for the evening do i'm sure they won't mind you taking a guest if you ask them?

moo - i was trying to discuss Kevin on the books thread but you disappeared

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 11:55:00

Why don't you actually go away for the weekend and then you can use that as a genuine excuse? Or say that your husband booked it without checking the dates with you.

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 11:56:07

Sorry just re-read your entire story. Shouldn't have said husband. Duh!

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 11:58:49

I just think my reasons for not going are a bit pathetic, and I know I will get "but you can sit with such and such" but when everyone else is with partners and I am the only one on my own, I will feel a bit of an odd man out. Normally this doesn't bother me at any other time, but does at weddings!! And I don't really want to have to ask to bring anyone with me, I would feel a bit funny about doing that.

Sorry I do think I am getting a bit carried away with the whole thing now and they will not even notice if I am there or not!

I think I will go with Marthamoo's letter, a birthday I can't get out of, and pass a gift on through the sister!

Thanks everyone for putting it into perspective!

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 12:00:00

WOMBAT - Finding a husband to book the weekend would be quite an achievement in 3 weeks

marthamoo Fri 15-Jul-05 12:13:54

Oh I forgot about Kevin!

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 12:15:14

Sorry LittleWhiteLie, I deserve a slap on the wrist for that.

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 12:17:01

Don't be silly, you really made me laugh!

Now there's an excuse, "I've found myself a husband and we are off for the weekend together!"

W0MBAT Fri 15-Jul-05 12:22:05

I dare you to use that one

LittleWhiteLie Fri 15-Jul-05 12:24:51

Everyone would think I had finally lost it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now