Talk

Advanced search

Where to sell an antique diamond ring?

(10 Posts)
lowrib Fri 26-Feb-10 21:56:30

I inherited a diamond ring from my Grandmother many years back. It's possibly worth about 2K.

While it would be nice to save it for posterity, I'm never going to wear it, we are really struggling financially, and it would really help speed up our plans to move out of London with DS. I've decided that if I'm ever going to cash it in, now would be a good time. Spending it on helping realise our plans to start a new life more suitable for DS is a good use of it IMO.

But I have no idea how to go about getting a good price for it. Does anyone know how I should go about selling it?

HellBent Fri 26-Feb-10 22:50:59

We have independent jewellery shops around that sell vintage stuff, you could check there or an antiques auction?

lowrib Fri 26-Feb-10 22:59:15

I should have said I'm in London. I think I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choice, I'm not sure where to start!

lowrib Fri 26-Feb-10 23:57:43

bump

lowrib Sat 27-Feb-10 09:54:33

Guess the recession can't be that bad then if no one else is selling off the family silver?!

lowrib Sat 27-Feb-10 09:59:55

Hellbent, the thing is I'm worried about getting ripped off. I see people in the local shopping centre giving their gold to those rip off merchants who give them peanuts for their jewelry. I always feel like shouting "No! Don't do it!" at them.

If I just go into a shop, how do I know they won't see me, (with no idea of it's real value) coming a mile off?!

Kneazle Sat 27-Feb-10 10:15:28

could you take it to two or three places for a valuation then take it from there. You have to take it to a few and be wary if anybody makes you an offer right away. Also look up similar things online if you know the period stone and that it is gold etc

lowrib Sat 27-Feb-10 10:53:10

Kneazle, good advice, I reckon that's what I'll have to do if I don't get any specific recommendations.

AmyM81 Tue 31-May-11 09:34:49

you first need to get an price/quality estimate your diamond ring (go to a couple of places). make sure that the ring is always in site.

thekidsmom Tue 31-May-11 09:38:45

If you're in London, surely you should pop along to Hatton Garden and see if you can get it valued there?

Near me there is a shop in Guidlford called Cry the Moon which sells second hand quality jewellry - might be worth a trip down here? Similalry, there are lots of great jewellry shops in Brighton which have good reputations.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: