Talk

Advanced search

How can people stoop so low?

(12 Posts)
Posey Thu 14-Jul-05 19:24:54

Dd's school fete was due to take place last Friday, but in view of our proximity to the bombings of the previous day, it was decided to postpone until tomorrow. All the stuff donated for the book/video/tombola stalls etc were put in the "helpers" room, a multi-purpose room in the school.
Now its been discovered that some s**t has had their pick of the stuff . It makes me so mad, a lot of people put in a lot of effort for what are supposed to be joyful, fun events , and some person/people have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything.

Whizzz Thu 14-Jul-05 19:30:34

Thats terrible
have you still got enough stuff for the fete ?

Posey Thu 14-Jul-05 19:41:19

No, well probably will have by tomorrow as people will rally around as they always do.
One bad egg... doesn't do something, can't remember what!

Donbean Thu 14-Jul-05 19:48:49

Along the same lines where i work ( a busy Intensive care unit) our relatives waiting room is nice, comfortable but small and stuffy.
One of the nurses brought in some cushions a nice lamp and a fan because in summer it is stiffling in there. She brought them all in from home.
All have been stolen, all are gone and no one wants to donate any thing else.
We think by a visitor.
It makes my blood boil.....the lousy Bxxxxxxs.

WestCountryLass Thu 14-Jul-05 21:49:29

That is terrible!

champs Fri 15-Jul-05 01:05:54

why would someone be so low!!

tatt Fri 15-Jul-05 06:47:44

if you ever serve on a fete stall always keep any notes separately until you have given change and hide any large notes you have. At one fete I went to a woman insisted she had handed over a £20 note when she hadn't - but she could see one in the money box. In the end she was given the change because she made such a fuss, but she was then followed around the fete.

But at the school's last fete someone came over and said she'd just realised her toddler had stolen two cars and offered more than they were worth

tigermoth Fri 15-Jul-05 07:43:12

when I ran a market stall I always kept a buyer's note separate till I had handed over their change. Like tatt's stallholder, I learned this the hard way.

Really sorry your school's stuff was stolen, Posey. Why not put a note up on the school message board or newsletter, regetting the incident. Whoever did it should know their scam was noticed.

I remember years ago buying a nice bag of valuable stuff from a jumble sale. Because the bag was so big, I asked the helpers to keep it behind their table. I went back to collect it only to find someone had asked for it already - a person who had been standing near me when I first handed it over. That 'someone' must have overheard my conversation with the helpers, gone back and tricked the helpers into thinking we were friends and got them to handing it over. Still annoys me.

bobbybob Fri 15-Jul-05 08:58:15

One woman stole a vase of flowers from our sausage sizzle for our local baby clinic. Apart from bread, napkins and relish it was the only thing on there. On the plus side we did sell her a sausage!

logic Fri 15-Jul-05 09:06:55

Last week someone stole a lovely plant from our garden, it was an anniversary present and I was heartbroken. There are just some evil people out there.

Posey Fri 15-Jul-05 20:25:49

All beggars belief really, doesn't it.

Anyway, the fete took place this afternoon/evening, the sun shone, the atmosphere was lovely and I think everyone had a great time. And there were plenty of toys, books, videos and tombola stuff as people really rallied round.

Flossam Fri 15-Jul-05 20:28:26

My parents tatty old trailer got towed off from outside my parents house a few years ago! From across gravel. I am always shocked what people are prepared to steal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now