Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you were a childminder/friend would you change someone elses 6 year olds nappy?

(110 Posts)
Fio2 Thu 14-Jul-05 08:16:42

whilst you were looking after them?

Honest opinions please, as my family are so useless I am going to have to ask someone else to watch my dd for the day and that is the only thing I am worried about, ok not the only thing but one of the things

promise I wont be offended if you say no, i need to know where I stand

Flamesparrow Thu 14-Jul-05 08:18:40

As long as I knew in advance that I would have nappies to change, wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Kittypickle Thu 14-Jul-05 08:21:21

Totally agree that as long as I knew that was the case, I wouldn't hesitate.

Flamesparrow Thu 14-Jul-05 08:22:02

I'm baffled that anyone would have a problem with it...

There are some strange people in the world

bobbybob Thu 14-Jul-05 08:26:34

Yes I would change it. I would just need to know it needed doing - seems quite harmless in the scheme of things, can't think why anyone would have a problem with this.

Mytwopenceworth Thu 14-Jul-05 08:27:54

child needs help = child gets help. why would anyone have a problem?

you are meeting their needs, its no different from cooking them some lunch or sticking a plaster over a cut, iyswim!

i CERTAINLY wouldnt expect a family member to have a problem with it!!

triceratops Thu 14-Jul-05 08:47:34

I changed my grans nappy when I was looking after her. It is something that you have to do when you are looking after someone who can't do it themselves. It is not the nicest job in the world but it is no big thing.

Pixiefish Thu 14-Jul-05 08:53:22

yes if it needed doing

HellyBelly Thu 14-Jul-05 09:05:21

I'm a childminder and would do this if it was required.

Gillian76 Thu 14-Jul-05 09:12:34

I'm with the others. Don't know the details of the situation, but if I knew it needed done beforehand I'd be fine with it

kcemum Thu 14-Jul-05 11:03:21

Also a childminder. Wouldn't have any problems doing it.

eidsvold Thu 14-Jul-05 11:13:56

Would not even give it a second thought... if it was needed then of course - can't leave child in a dirty/wet nappy.

Fio2 Thu 14-Jul-05 11:13:57

I dont think its weird that people wouldnt want to do it as it is different changes a 6 yr olds nappy to changing a toddlers nappy/

out of interest, a question for the childmionders, have you ever looked after children special needs and what problems would you encounter if you did? would you say for example need a different insurance etc?

DaddyCool Thu 14-Jul-05 11:15:53

why not?

all childless people go on and on about how horrible it must be changing nappies when really i found it one of the least taxing things.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 14-Jul-05 11:20:00

I'd do it. The only issue I could see is, if the 6 year old doesn't like having her nappy changed. Holding down a squirming toddler for a nappy change is hard enough, but a 6-year-old could be very hard work.

Fio2 Thu 14-Jul-05 11:21:49

she is fine being changed, very happy about it and very compliant

NotQuiteCockney Thu 14-Jul-05 11:26:54

Then I'd have no problem at all.

I do find changing nappies a bit gross once kids are on solids, but it's part of being a mum. (I'm not a childminder, but DS1 went to a childcare co-op, so I've changed plenty of other kids' nappies.)

Blackduck Thu 14-Jul-05 11:27:20

Bet ds could give her a run for her money - I'd do it as long as everything was left with me...

Thomcat Thu 14-Jul-05 11:33:42

It may be different changing a toddlers nappy to changing a 6 yr olds nappy but that doesn't mean to say it shouldn't be done. blimey, you can't leave a child with a wet/dirty nappy on just cos they are past the toddler stage.

jamboure Thu 14-Jul-05 11:34:45

Sorry if this sounds rude but have I read right that the child is 6 years old and still in nappies????

Excuse my ignorance please

dinosaur Thu 14-Jul-05 11:35:21

jamboure I don't think I for one am going to excuse your ignorance.

dinosaur Thu 14-Jul-05 11:36:04

Fio2 I would do it, I still have to wipe DS1's bottom and he will be six tomorrow! It's not much different is it?

Thomcat Thu 14-Jul-05 11:37:41

Yes jambourne you did read that right.
Not that it needs to be expalined to anyone but there might be a very good reason for it, do you think????

Thomcat Thu 14-Jul-05 11:39:00

I'll be expecting people to change Lottie's nappy when she's that age as well, I would be outraged if anyone had that much of a problem with it that they just didn't do it.

Blu Thu 14-Jul-05 11:40:04

Jamboure - just stop and think for a moment - if a 6 year-old child is using nappies - there must be a reason, mustn't there?

Like she has special needs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now