Advanced search

Can anyone tell me about E 111's

(17 Posts)
lilibet Wed 13-Jul-05 12:32:03

Off to France first thing in the morning and just realised that we haven't got one?

What do they do and how vital is it?

Lonelymum Wed 13-Jul-05 12:33:18

Provide you with free medical care if you need it - actually I think you have to pay but get the money back.

They are not hard to get hold of. Just go to a PO and fill in the form and you have done it.

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 12:33:31

You can still get one from the PO - 1 each this time (they'll give you forms for all)

It gets you French NHS-type medical care, and your travel insurance won't pay out on a medical cliam if you don't have E111s.

teeavee Wed 13-Jul-05 12:33:52

thwy are to cover you if you need any emergency medical treatment (incl. sudden toothache, for example)
You can either take the risk of leaving without one in the hope that no such emergency will arise, or try and get one today - used to be available from the post office, but not sure these days....

teeavee Wed 13-Jul-05 12:34:56

yes, you will have to pay upfront and get your money back later when back in the UK

spacedonkey Wed 13-Jul-05 12:35:17

The E111 gives you access to medical care while you're away - there's a reciprocal agreement between EU countries which means you can use their public health services while you're travelling without having to pay (not sure if everything is free, but it would certainly cover emergencies I think). Very easy to get - just get a form from the post office and they stamp it for you at the counter. It's free. If you've already got travel insurance I don't think you need the E111.

Oh and have a great holiday!

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 12:35:36

Also, lil, by getting them now it means you will automatically be sent the new universal plastic card they'll be issuing later in the year.

spacedonkey Wed 13-Jul-05 12:35:51

Sorry i posted too late and my remark about travel insurance is obviously wrong!

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 12:37:20

You do still need one, donk - if you make a claim they'll say "well your E111 will pay for this bit" and if you say "er - I don't have one" they will say "tough, cos we're not paying it!"

LIZS Wed 13-Jul-05 12:37:30

Sometimes it is free, sometimes you pay something and get a refund of all or part. Can avoid you having to find money in an emergency. You do need proper Travel insurance too in case of extended family accommodation due to delayed return of patient or cost of medical ambulance back to UK , for example.

lilibet Wed 13-Jul-05 12:38:54

I shall nip to the Post Office when I get ds2 from school

Ta all!!

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 12:40:31

What is covered in France

Hope you all have a fab time

Frieda Wed 13-Jul-05 12:42:45

From memory, I think you may need to fill in details like your passport and NHS numbers before taking it back to the PO to get it stamped – don't think they're valid unless stamped, so don't leave it til the very last minute. (At least this used to be the case – I know they've changed slightly now)

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 12:44:27

Oooh, lil, you can download the forms from the website where the France information was, then you could fill them in before you go - there is one for the family plus an individual one for each person. I don't think it wanted passport inf but may have asked for an NI number.

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 12:46:35

here - you need one CM1 and 5 E111s.

lilibet Wed 13-Jul-05 21:45:52

Ta Janh!

Saved us so much time having the form online - just packign the car ready for an early start.

Early in the lili/tutb household means 9ish!!

Woo Hoo!! [waving bye bye emoticon]

Janh Wed 13-Jul-05 21:49:41


Have a really really good hol, Mr & Mrs B!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: