Talk

Advanced search

Dd's 6th birthday party - presents dilemma -advice please!

(8 Posts)
EmilyJane Tue 12-Jul-05 12:37:49

I know this is going to sound a bit stupid but I am facing a dilemma this Sunday unless I sort this out now. It is my dd's 6th birthday party on the 17th -but it is not her actual birthday until Monday. My husband and his family are always very strict about not opening presents until the actual date eg no Christmas presents to be opened on Christmas Eve or Boxing Day. My family, who live over a hundred miles away, if they come to visit before or after the date in question like to see their grandchildren open their presents!! They are coming to the party for the day on Sunday and I know they will want to see my dd1 open her presents before they go home. My husband has said this morning that he does not want Rebecca to open her presents until the 18th. His parents live locally and will also be at the party. Although they will also not see dd1 on Monday, they will be happy to let her open them on her birthday. Any suggestions to avoid unecessary arguments?!

lemonice Tue 12-Jul-05 12:41:03

Let her open her presents on the different days, it spreads them out and she will apppreciate them more and the pleasure of giving will be much greater if the granparents can see her with them...

Your DH is being a little harsh i think

Enid Tue 12-Jul-05 12:41:47

Tell your dh to stop being so pedantic and let your dd open them when your parents are there. We do this every year as my parents live miles and miles away and often sees the girls before or after their actual birthdays.

What does he do if she gets a present late - make her wait until next year??

Tommy Tue 12-Jul-05 12:51:52

Speading them out is good I think. Last year DSs birthday was on a Monday but we gave him his presents and he had his party on the Sunday (DH at work and DS at pre school on Monday)PILs arrived on the Monday and we had another birthday in the afternoon with them!

EmilyJane Tue 12-Jul-05 13:02:39

Thanks for ths advice so far - the only problem I might have is that there will be two sets of grandparents at the party. One set do not believe in opening presents before the day - the other do!! My dd will no doubt want to show off her presents from my parents to my in-laws. Do you think it might be a better idea to let her open her main presents from my parents and leave the smaller presents until her birthday? I can't believe how stressed I am getting about this!

Enid Tue 12-Jul-05 15:21:46

Let her open your parents presents at the party and save the others until The Day?

Tommy Tue 12-Jul-05 15:34:53

my wise sister is always giving me tips about things like this - clach of family traditions etc. the thing is that you are a new family now so you have to come up with new ways of doing this. I would agree with Enid here. Let her open your parents pressies on the sunday and save the others for the proper day. If your PILs don't liek it then that's a bit tough I would say

EmilyJane Tue 12-Jul-05 20:24:58

Thanks again for the advice, it is right what your sister says Tommy -we are a new family now. I shall tell my dh tonight that our dd1 will open her presents from my parents on Sunday. I think it's because my pils and my parents really only meet at my dds birthday parties. I just want everything to go smoothly, as well as having to cope with ten other raging six year olds!! Having said this, no doubt I'll be asking for advice again when Christmas comes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now