Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kindermusik. Has anyone been???

(13 Posts)
Nbg Sat 09-Jul-05 14:56:34

I have put dd's name down for the next course which starts in September.

I think it sounds really good and just wanted to know if anyone else had been to them?

Milliways Sat 09-Jul-05 14:59:16

Yeah, Love it! We did it with the Berkshire Young Musicians Trust & every year they performed at the Hexagon. DS learned to keep rhythms, learn notation, to read music (from Kinder 3), sing in parts & generally have great fun. They all then get encouraged to try out various instruments and all the kids from his group now play something or joined the junior choir. (DS does classical guitar, but now wants an electric one & a drum kit )

Nbg Sat 09-Jul-05 15:03:27

Oh excellent!

Now that is a positive experience. DD will be nearly 2 when we start so she's in the 2nd class.

I was a bit shocked at the price but when I read all the info you do actually get quite alot for your money.

I'm really pleased we're managing to get to this class as it's so near our house and when dd was younger I really wanted to take her to Jo Jingles but it was too far.

Roll on September

Nbg Sat 09-Jul-05 18:13:27

Bumping for the night bunch.

frannyf Sun 10-Jul-05 18:57:01

We have been and I think it's great (whisper: much better than Jo Jingles). It is a very well-thought out and researched course, but the children have a lot of fun too. Hope you enjoy it!

Yorkiegirl Sun 10-Jul-05 19:19:06

Message withdrawn

Freckle Sun 10-Jul-05 19:21:42

All 3 of mine have done this. DS1 and DS2 from 2.5 years and DS3 from 6 months (his dad took him to the classes and had such fun). They are all now learning an instrument. DS1 (11) is learning the oboe, DS2 (9) is learning the clarinet and DS3 (7) is learning the piano. Of the 3, DS3 has the most natural ability, which may or may not be down to the fact that he started Kindermusik so early.

SoftFroggie Sun 10-Jul-05 20:53:20

Frannyf - why do you think it is much better than Jo Jingles? I'm currently choosing between various music classes. Also Monkey Music.

Milliways Sun 10-Jul-05 21:10:27

A friend of mine tried Jo Jingles & didn't like it - too much just shaking rattles & not much actual learning. She switched to Kindermusic & loved it. We found Kindermisic great fun, I do suppose it all boils down to the individual teachers. Most good places will offer you a free trial lesson. The BYMT (Berks Young Musicians Trust) have open days where you can sit in on any classes, and evenings where you can try out loads of different instruments, talk to teachers etc.

Nbg Mon 11-Jul-05 15:26:05

I'm glad you all have good experiences with it.

I can't wait to go.

Do the parents sit back and watch or are you involved with the singing etc?
I'm also a bit concerned as dd is going through a fidgety phase atm so there's a good chance she won't sit still. Will they be ok with that?

colinsmommy Mon 11-Jul-05 16:36:57

I've taken DS (22 mo) to Kindermusic since he's been 5 mo. old, and he's loved it. It is here in the US, though, but I imagine the program is the same. The parents are very involved in the singing and activities, but not quite as much in the 2nd class, as there is more storytelling, etc. DS is very active, and sometimes gets up and does his own thing, but not for long, and it has always been perfectly acceptable with the teachers he's had. The only thing I've noticed is the 2nd class is for 18 mo to 3 years, so some of the activites tend to go way over his head, and it is a bit frustrating for him, since he was the youngest in the class. But he does seem to have a genuine love for music already, and loves to go so much that when we drive by the place where class is (unfortunately it is on the way to In-law's house) he starts crying.

Nbg Mon 11-Jul-05 16:42:12

I did wonder if it was an American company as all the literature I have been sent seems to be all from America.

Did everyone get the books and CD's, if so how much did you use them and are they any good?

colinsmommy Mon 11-Jul-05 16:57:59

I got both, and while I certainly didn't follow the program religiously, DS really likes the books and CD's. The CD's are great for long car trips, I can't say I'm fond of the music, but he definitely has his favorites that he loves to listen to, and they keep him occupied for long chunks of time. He even sings a few words from his favorite songs. Unfortunately his favorite one now is about a donkey, so he goes around singing hee-haw all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now