Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else feeling nervous about travelling now?

(27 Posts)
Socci Fri 08-Jul-05 18:31:03

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 18:32:31

Nervous, yes. Would it stop me, no.

I dont use trains as a rule anyway, but im sure you will be fine x

Socci Fri 08-Jul-05 18:36:48

Message withdrawn

CarolinaMoon Fri 08-Jul-05 18:38:30

it's the possible state of the tracks that always worries me on trains. i'm dead paranoid tho

the risks of being caught up in that sort of attack are miniscule, but yes, it's definitely unnerving.

snafu Fri 08-Jul-05 18:39:06

I think it would be strange not to feel a bit apprehensive in the immediate aftermath of something like this.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 18:40:45

I dont like them - simple. Too many incidents happen on trains. Not to say I wouldnt use them if i had to, i just prefer to use buses/coaches or drive.

snafu Fri 08-Jul-05 18:40:57

But it wouldn't stop me using public transport. In fact I felt like going into London today just to get on a bus or a tube. (Didn't though )

Socci Fri 08-Jul-05 18:41:27

Message withdrawn

snafu Fri 08-Jul-05 18:41:54

Jessicasmummy - the incidence of train accidents is miniscule compared to road accidents.

Earlybird Fri 08-Jul-05 18:42:22

I took the bus twice today, and felt quite nervous. Everyone was eyeing each other up. One woman had several packages. One dropped on the floor with a loud noise and everyone jumped - and then glared at her for scaring them.

Wouldn't be happy to take the tube at this point. Can still hear helicopters hovering overhead, and the constant whirring is wearing. No way to know if it's police, traffic or news channels. Very unsettling.

Socci Fri 08-Jul-05 18:42:36

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 18:45:18

i know i know.... but the train crashes/incidents seem to be a lot more fatal if that makes sense?!

I dont have the need to use a lot of public transort anyway, other than the usual trips in the car so maybe im a lucky one x

snafu Fri 08-Jul-05 18:52:18

<<There were 207,410 road accidents involving personal injury in 2004, 3 per cent less than in 2003. Of these, 26,748 accidents involved death or serious injury.>> Dept of Transport 2004 figures.

Bit more than the train

But yes, I do know what you mean, to an extent. The whole point is that train crashes etc are reported so heavily because on the rare occasion they happen, sadly several people lose their lives at once. The thousands of deaths and injuries that occur on the roads every single year aren't newsworthy in the same way, are they?

KBear Fri 08-Jul-05 18:58:08

I think it is perfectly natural to be apprehensive especially travelling with your children after what's happened. Common sense tells you you'll be okay and to keep calm but your nerves still jangle and you will jump at the slightest bump.

I went to work on the train to London today with a tight band of fear really round my chest but I made myself go and talked myself into a defiant sort of mood which forced me to keep walking when the helicopter was circling above me at Moorgate.

It scared me and still does but it won't beat me. If you can you have to carry on as normal, I think.

CarolinaMoon Fri 08-Jul-05 18:59:13

because you're not the driver of the train, you don't have the illusion of control that you do if driving. I hate being a passenger in a car for pretty much this reason.

but i bet lots of car accidents are really unavoidable from the 'innocent' party's point of view

bakedpotato Fri 08-Jul-05 19:29:57

I went on a London bus today with DD, to music club and back again: it didn't occur to me not to, and it felt like any other journey. I use buses every day, always have, always will. Yes, I would have had qualms about the tube -- I'm never a tube fan at the best of times -- and DH has cycled in for once, rather than do the Northen Line, but I expect he'll take the tube in as normal on Monday. This is the way we live our lives. We have no alternative. Anyway, why give them the satisfaction.

Socci Fri 08-Jul-05 21:39:38

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Fri 08-Jul-05 21:42:04

I'd be very worried about travelling on the tube - I always did when I worked there 5 yrs ago. I travelled on the Picadilly and Victoria line every day and it scared the hell out of me. Used to think about fires and bombs. Couldn't wait to move away.

Btw, I know this is highly irrational and the chances of anything happening are very slim.

flashingnose Fri 08-Jul-05 21:44:33

Bravo KBear and Bakedpotato.

sparklymieow Fri 08-Jul-05 21:55:04

I live near the Hatfield train crash and had to go up to London a few weeks after, on the train, It was nervy and worrying, and that was highen when the Potters bar crash happened (same line) but I did it. I was also in London at the time of 9/11 and for weeks afterwards I was worried about going back to Great Ormond Street, as we had to return 4 weeks after 9/11.
I am in London quite regularly with DS and I know it will play on my mind but it has to be done. MIL will freak about it, and demand that we ask the NHS to provide transport but I refuse to let spineless, arrogent idiots tell me where and how I should travel......

Tanzie Fri 08-Jul-05 22:02:23

Just get on with life. I used to live in Israel and you can't let things like that rule your life, or you'd never go anywhere or do anything.

sparklymieow Fri 08-Jul-05 22:58:43

I refuse to stop my life, Ds has to go to his appointments and I will get him there via train and tube..... At the end of the day, i think we will be safer travelling into London than we have even been because everyone will be on full alert

Chuffed Sat 09-Jul-05 09:30:06

Well it has totally effected dh and I and we won't be catching any tubes or buses again until we leave London in March 06. He bought a bike on Thursday night and I'll buy one this week. Otherwise we'll walk, it will take me an hour each way to work but we are lucky we have a choice.

AnnaInManchester Sat 09-Jul-05 12:09:40

I feel really sorry for all you Londoners

I went on a bus that was going into Manchester from Oldham yesterday and about 8 guys in their 30s got on, really shifty looking, so I decided to cut my journey short and got off at the next stop. Just isn't worth the risk is it?

snafu Sat 09-Jul-05 12:29:51

What did you think they were going to do, Anna? Of course, it's your decision and your life, but I think it's really sad that you felt the need to do that, especially just on the basis of someone's physical appearance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now