Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you get rid of flies in your kitchen?

(16 Posts)
ponygirl Fri 08-Jul-05 13:36:23

We've got bl**dy loads atm. We don't leave food out, the bin's emptied regularly, it's (fairly) clean in there. Can't use sprays, don't think I could cope with fly paper (urgh!). Anyone got one of those zapper things? Any good?

DissLocated Fri 08-Jul-05 13:37:58

I've got the same problem at the mo, no solutions though so will watch with interest. I've bought some fly paper but haven't been able to bring myself to put it up yet!

ponygirl Fri 08-Jul-05 13:42:57

It's disgusting stuff, isn't it, DissLocated? Reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen when I was little, she had about 5 lengths of the stuff covered in dead flies. Yuck!

DissLocated Fri 08-Jul-05 13:50:12

I've never actually seen fly paper in use but the thought of a strip of dead flies hanging around is pretty horrid.

okapi Fri 08-Jul-05 13:55:17

dh is a dab hand with a fly swat - sadly I'm not - all I do is chase them around for a while

ponygirl Fri 08-Jul-05 14:20:43

Good exercise, though, okapi! Our local hardware shop does sell fly paper. It's so grim though.

QueenOfQuotes Fri 08-Jul-05 14:21:46

open the window

gigglinggoblin Fri 08-Jul-05 14:23:09

i swoosh them out with a kitchen towel. actually hit a couple the other night and they were laying on the floor twitching so i stood on them. they went crunch and one got stuck to my shoe and i had to scream for dp to come and remove it <<<shudder>>>

ponygirl Fri 08-Jul-05 14:45:44

QoQ, it's because the back door's open that I've got them in the first place. Can't shut it though, on a lovely day like today! The little critters would get in some other way anyhow.

Caligula Fri 08-Jul-05 14:53:44

Someone once told me that if you have pots of growing basil in the kitchen, it repels flies.

I don't know if that's true though. I've never noticed it working for me, but perhaps if there were no basil there, I might have 10 flies instead of one or two.

okapi Fri 08-Jul-05 14:56:13

I have a pot of basil and a couple of flies as well - perhaps I should stand some next to the catfood, which I think is the main attraction

ponygirl Fri 08-Jul-05 14:57:53

I do have basil, though didn't until this year, and it's just as bad as usual. Don't have cat food any more, though when I did it was really bad!

Easy Fri 08-Jul-05 15:34:45

We have tiny flies which sit on the bananas next to the fruit bowl until you go near, then fly about the place. Keep meaning to get paper bag to keep the bananas in, see if it helps.

triceratops Fri 08-Jul-05 15:41:47

we have a sort of electric tennis racket (from Lakeland of course [wink}) which will clear the room in a few sweeps. It sizzles up the flies which can then be brushed into the bin. Works a treat on mossies too.

cupcakes Fri 08-Jul-05 16:35:30

i go mad with the fly swat. It's quite satisfying - until you have to clean up the areas you swatted them on...

sorrel Fri 08-Jul-05 16:41:46

I have sprayed teatree oil in water around the doors and windows. seems to be working ok and all doors and windows are open. they also don't like febreeze too much- (although i know it is the devils perfume!)and full of nasty chemicals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now