Talk

Advanced search

Do you go to the toilet?

(56 Posts)
SoftFroggie Wed 06-Jul-05 14:33:41

MIL (very pretentious) is horrified if anyone says "toilet". But can't suggest a better word to use.
My mum thinks toilet is the 'educated' word, and 'loo' (for example) shocking slang.

What do you call it? what should we teach our children to call it?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 14:34:03

i say - im going for a wee!

tarantula Wed 06-Jul-05 14:34:33

Nope I head to the bog for a Bruce myself

giraffeski Wed 06-Jul-05 14:35:29

Message withdrawn

QueenOfQuotes Wed 06-Jul-05 14:35:41

"Toilet" "loo" "p*ss" "wee" "no.2" "bog" depending on who I'm with, how drunk I am or whether the kids are in ear shot

Carla Wed 06-Jul-05 14:36:01

DDs either need a string or a parcel.

SoftFroggie Wed 06-Jul-05 14:36:35

QoQ: which do you use to the kids?

Dahlia Wed 06-Jul-05 14:36:52

I suppose lavatory is the posh word, or 'wc'.
But I say bog-house meself.

QueenOfQuotes Wed 06-Jul-05 14:37:25

"going to do a wee" or "going to the toilet" (usually) or "going to the loo"

Bugsy2 Wed 06-Jul-05 14:37:31

Need a pee, off to the loo ..... Don't honestly think it matters in this day & age. Its a bit Nancy Mitford to be getting your knickers in a twist about frightful middle class words like "toilet"!!!!!

edam Wed 06-Jul-05 14:38:30

My mum, like your MIL, thinks 'toilet' is very infra dig. Have always called it the loo.
Funnily enough, my mother's take on this is that toilet was originally pretentious - people attempting to sound posh by adopting a French word. Like saying serviette instead of napkin.

Dahlia Wed 06-Jul-05 14:39:15

tarantula, what's a 'Bruce'??? I can only think of Willis or Forsyth.
Oh - just got it!!!!!!!!
I like to say 'going for an eartha'.

desperatehousewife Wed 06-Jul-05 14:40:31

posh people say 'loo' the rest of us say 'toilet'. I've dallied with 'bog', 'going for a slash', 'need a tiddle' etc.

treacletart Wed 06-Jul-05 14:43:30

The theory is a lot of words with french origins were introduced to Britain during the industrial revolution. Newly rich industrialists would by the new top of the range french stuff - settees, perfumes, mirrors, serviettes etc - but the old money aristos already had sofas, scent, looking glasses and napkins. So if you really want to sound posh you use the old words, hence loo and not toilet.

giraffeski Wed 06-Jul-05 14:44:19

Message withdrawn

zipzip Wed 06-Jul-05 14:47:50

I kinda got into the habit of saying bathroom, after many embarrassing moments in the States where I would ask someone where the toilets were...

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 14:49:35

My mum insists it's 'lavatory' but I stopped saying it when I left home because no-one else says it. However, it still grates to say 'toilet' as she has instilled the predjudice in me. 'Loo' sounds twee, 'bog' sounds smelly.

Lav' or lavvy is a good compromise.

teeavee Wed 06-Jul-05 14:50:55

I still don't gt the bruce thing - someone enlighten me?

tarantula Wed 06-Jul-05 14:52:13

Bruce Lee - pee

tarantula Wed 06-Jul-05 14:52:50

Its all dp's fault. Im a nice Irish girl myself

Cha Wed 06-Jul-05 14:57:20

I say loo, dp says toilet, kids say both. I correct them though . Hate the word toilet.

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 15:00:32

Desperate Housewife says:

"posh people say 'loo' the rest of us say 'toilet'"

I know what you mean, but I think it's only the aspirationally posh who give a damn about it (i.e. really want to be posh but don't quite cut it)

I use loo, toilet, bog etc interchangeably

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 15:01:14

Sorry, not being pointed about you Cha! . Noticed that your post is directly below mine.

binkie Wed 06-Jul-05 15:05:29

I was brought up to shudder at "toilet" too (and dh still does, but then he insists that our one big room is the "drawing-room", which I think is a weeny bit aspirational).

Ds and dd use "toilet" happily - because that's what everyone says at school, and I am so glad that means they're free of those horrid class-antennae.

Been replaced by frets over connotation antennae though - should they call female adults "ladies" or "women"?

trefusis Wed 06-Jul-05 15:09:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now