Talk

Advanced search

Anyone here a member of Friends of the Earth?

(14 Posts)
beatie Wed 06-Jul-05 11:58:43

What do you get for your membership?

DH and I joined over 6 months ago and have only received a catalogue of eco-friendly products. I assumed we'd get email updates of campaigns and invitations to join campaigns.

bossykate Wed 06-Jul-05 12:29:52

i'm a member and i do get those things, plus a regular newsletter, "earthmatters". foe also run an eco advice helpline, a very informative website, many publications etc etc

i would get in touch with them and see what the problem is.

good luck and hth.

Janh Wed 06-Jul-05 12:31:06

<hijack alert>

beatie, did you see this?

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 12:31:26

Have been thinking about joining. Am a member of Greenpeace but never really fathomed out the differences between the two organisations (quite often press reports will have Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth decried.... or whatever, but I'm guessing there's more difference than that, lol)

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 12:34:34

I was a few years back but was turned off because I couldn't make myself as green as they desired. Some things I won't compromise (we are a 2 car household for instance, and we eat a lot of meat, plus I like to buy new things sometimes!). At our local friends of the earth meeting, the leader advocated using a pantry and not having a fridge....(get outta here!)

I try to be environmentally sound these days - as far as is practicable for me

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 12:35:24

From memory, back then I got a newsletter quite regularly.

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 12:37:22

eep, hmc. I've just bought their book actually - save cash & save the planet. Looks quite good, but agree to a certain extent that I'm going to end up feeling horribly guilty - but like you I'm going to aim to do as much as is practical.

Anyone got the Good Shopping Guide - is that any good?

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 12:38:35

That's the book I just bought last Saturday!!!!!

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 12:39:10

LOL

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 12:39:54

I try and religiously do the small things, like ensure I never use standby on electrical appliances, only boil enough water for a cup of tea, always use a lid on a saucepan (as well as the usual recycling stuff)etc

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 12:43:10

I have to confess that's something I need to work on. I'm currently working on getting all the lightbulbs replaced with energy savers, have done my carbon offset for the year and switched to green elec/gas. We get doorstep recycling anyway here, but need to make more of an effort to recycle glass (they don't collect that). Walk most places - but that's more an accident of convenience (and I hate driving) rather than a genuine "save the planet" choice.

beatie Wed 06-Jul-05 13:14:02

hmc - the small things help. A pantry? Wow. A pantry instead of a fridge? I wonder how many people do that.

I could never be as green as is probably expected by FOE... but there are certain campaigns I would like to support. I will contact them and see if we have been missed off their database.

beatie Wed 06-Jul-05 13:15:35

JanH - thanks for thinking of me re the moses basket. In the end I found the product I was looking for - a hanging cradle which fits inside a regular cot. I haven't updated my original post yet with details since it has not arrived yet and I don't want to endorse a priduct I haven't seen or a company which may not deliver the goods.

Thanks again though.

Janh Wed 06-Jul-05 13:25:02

Oh, good, I'm glad you found the thing you wanted - hope it works out well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now