Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Plant for evening wedding party gift - ideas?

(9 Posts)
jenthehen Tue 05-Jul-05 22:50:44

We are going to the above evnt on Saturday and rather than something they have to find space for in a cupboard I would like to find an appropriate garden plant. Would this be suitable and what suggestions do you have?

madrose Tue 05-Jul-05 22:52:42

i think a lemon or olive tree would be nice - don't know how grow in garden - but thy look nice imo

jenthehen Tue 05-Jul-05 23:04:12

I like those suggestions - keep them coming

Fauve Tue 05-Jul-05 23:10:01

They would be lovely, only I think they'd need to be in pots, and I believe the lemon at least would need to come in for the winter and live in a conservatory. But it's a great idea to have something that would be edible as well as pretty.

If not, at the risk of sounding really boring, roses are really easy to keep alive, and you could choose one with an appropriate name, eg Peace if they are anti-war campaigners, for example; or there are lots with women's names (sorry Peace is the only one I can name off the top of my head apart from really obscure ones like Volunteer).

To continue the edible theme, apple or pear trees are often given as commemorative gifts - you can see the tree growing as the marriage/child/etc grows in maturity. They are also dead easy to keep alive.

Fauve Tue 05-Jul-05 23:21:09

Or a cherry tree - lovely blossom, easy to maintain - you'd need to check they were sweet cherries, not the ones you make chutney-type stuff with. Plum tree even?

Magnolias are gorgeous flowering trees (no edible fruit) - a magnolia stellata would be best for a small garden.

jenthehen Tue 05-Jul-05 23:40:25

Wow Fauve you're a fountain of gardening knowledge, I know where to focus my garden dilemas to now. Thanks for great suggestions!! ps I'm looking for a garden bridge to go over my small stream ; do you know any good websites?

Fauve Wed 06-Jul-05 09:19:46

A lot of people on here like
crocus - I haven't used it myself but it looks good. A bridge! That sounds exciting

almostanangel Wed 06-Jul-05 09:21:04

roses you can get wedded bliss i think

feelingold Wed 06-Jul-05 09:50:44

When we got married my friend bought us a 'wedding day rose'(that's the acual name of the variety) so that we could plant it and watch it grow and always remember our wedding day. It is a kind of climbing rose and ours has white flowers and we have it in a pot growing up trellis so that if we move we can take it with us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now