Talk

Advanced search

DD freckle or birthmark? which one??

(14 Posts)
biglips Tue 05-Jul-05 12:59:38

is on the back on of thigh and its the colour of a freckle, its quite a big freckle and i only noticed it was there when she was 5 months old ( she is 9 months old now)

what is it? as people asking me what is it?

bigdonna Tue 05-Jul-05 22:18:17

it could be a mole my son has a big mole on his shoulder.

biglips Wed 06-Jul-05 08:05:45

bump

biglips Wed 06-Jul-05 11:53:06

deffo not a mole as its not raised

NotQuiteCockney Wed 06-Jul-05 11:55:53

I say "mole" for flat ones and raised ones. Definately not a freckle - freckles only come from sunburns or at least tans. I doubt your baby's been burning or tanning the back of her thighs!

biglips Wed 06-Jul-05 11:57:47

no she got it in march this year so deffo not sunburns... so it must be a mole then

SaintGeorge Wed 06-Jul-05 12:01:06

I tend to say birthmark for the flatties and mole for the raised - but I think they are pretty much the same thing. Birthmark is a bit of a misnomer as they often develop over the first year.

DH has a large brown birthmark behind his left knee, I have a large raised mole on my right hip.

I always thought birthmarks were very individual and had no genetic connection - yet DS1 has identical marks on his leg and hip. Very strange.

Mum2girls Wed 06-Jul-05 12:01:40

Are you or her dad moley?

biglips Wed 06-Jul-05 12:03:34

both are freckly and moley but im more moley and freckly

biglips Wed 06-Jul-05 12:04:16

i thought birthmarks is what you are born with? so it wasnt there till seh turned 5 months

SaintGeorge Wed 06-Jul-05 12:09:05

Both my boys had some tiny marks at birth, but others developed slowly.

Believe it or not, DH has recently regained a birthmark that he lost after an accident. Very strange to see it reappearing after so long.

littleshebear Wed 06-Jul-05 12:37:07

Could it be a cafe au lait mark? Both my boys have these - they are pale brown and the same texture as skin if you know what I mean - like a freckle. I think they can develop rather than be there from birth - I don't think the boys had them when they were babies. If you google this you could get some pictures to compare it with. My dd2 has also got a naevi on her face - this is darker brown and a bit hairy(charming!)My dd1 has a little one of these on her back. Both were pointed out to me at birth. I am moley and freckly as well and ds1,2 and dd2 all have red hair. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but perhaps ask your health visitor.

bigdonna Wed 06-Jul-05 13:04:15

both my children were born with no birth marks, now my son has mole on back he has never had burnt back my dd has funny pigment on her neck.

biglips Wed 06-Jul-05 22:58:38

well ive got an 8 month baby check appointment next week, so ill mention it to HV...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: