Talk

Advanced search

NEED HELP PLEASE WITH WORDING FOR SYMPATHY CARD

(10 Posts)
MrsBigD Tue 05-Jul-05 11:43:59

My boss just asked me to come up with some wording for a sympathy card he would like to send to a business associate as English isn't his first language... well it's mine neither so I've got no idea what to write?

Any suggestions please?

Thank you

Marina Tue 05-Jul-05 11:50:51

Well, do either of you know much about the reasons for the card being sent? Presuming it's a bereavement. Wording might vary slightly depending on whether the associate has lost an aged parent, a spouse or a child

MrsBigD Tue 05-Jul-05 11:54:52

oh sorry... the associate is the one who died from a heart attack and the card is to his colleagues

Tortington Tue 05-Jul-05 12:03:00

brief and simple
"thnking of you at this difficult time, from xxxxx"

binkie Tue 05-Jul-05 12:04:32

English not being his first language shouldn't matter. No-one will criticise the grammar, they'll listen to the feelings in the words.

So, leaving aside the fact that he should write it & it shouldn't be a delegated task [slightly about that bit], it should (i) refer to particular times when they have worked together, (ii) cite a few specific qualities of the person that made those projects a good experience, and (iii) say that he understands that they must all miss him dreadfully. He could also add something about how he hopes that the relationship between Company X and Consultancy Y will continue, but to my ears that's a bit networky.

The bottom line is: be personal and SPECIFIC.

soapbox Tue 05-Jul-05 12:06:02

Dear X's collegues

We are so very sorry to hear the news about x, he will be missed by us all.

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Names.......

bran Tue 05-Jul-05 12:06:06

I'm so sorry to hear about xxx, he will be sorely missed.

With greatest sympathy, yyy.

MrsBigD Tue 05-Jul-05 12:08:46

binkie... I know what you mean, but what am I to do? He's the boss after all...

thanks for all the suggestions

binkie Tue 05-Jul-05 12:09:03

Um, I guess my recommendation is for a sympathy letter not a brief card. Guess it rather depends on how close the relationship is.

(I wrote one like mine for a charming foreign lawyer I had just got to know, who died suddenly half-way through our deal. Never met him but firm knew him well & I wanted to say something. It was only a couple of sentences really.)

MrsBigD Tue 05-Jul-05 12:16:24

binkie - don't think they were that close really. Just a business associate as far as I know. then again boss has a habit of only giving 1/2 of the required information...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now