Talk

Advanced search

Why Mumsnet?

(23 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 11:31:37

Feeling quite p'd off tbh. I have been regular visitor here now and received some really good advice and some not so good. That is the beauty of mumsnet.. it is a wide range of view points. I love the fact that what i amy think won't be the same as the next person. Also often i havent seen it from another perspective and sometimes others have already been there. Sometimes tho i have not a clue what someone is going on about but i post just for the hell of having my say.

Right now thinking of stropping and not posting anymore (probably wouldnt last tho)

by the way, you can only post on here if you agree with me - joke.

emily05 Mon 04-Jul-05 11:37:11

Awen - I have posted on and off on here for 2 years. Every now and then somebody posts something (usually in a blunt way!) that get to me - somtimes I dont post for a while - but always come back!
I think that posting is like texting - posts can come accross differently than they are meant as you cant see the person, also because the threads move so fast you can loose the meaning of something as well (iyswim)

If something gets my back up I keep to topic non controversial. Like recipies, slimming, food, gardening! that sort of thing!

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 11:40:20

I'm not going to disagree with you Awen - I might get "twatted" with a big stick!

AnnieQ Mon 04-Jul-05 11:43:37

What's annoying me recently is those threads where you're not allowed to disagree with the original poster, and if you do you're judged or slagged off. There has to be room for everyone's opinion - nothing is ever so straightforward that there is a wrong or a right opion - and lately there have been a couple of threads where posting a different opinion and having a proper discussion hasn't been tolerated. Strange, really, because some of the threads have actually been about tolerance of others ...

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 11:45:10

I'll get my coat.

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 11:48:19

I must admit to being a bit peeved at being attacked for a having different parenting style to some. Those posters who are more forthright with their views tend to be the ones who have a go at others for doing things differently to how they might. The point is, everyone is different, no-one is necessarily right or wrong. Obviopusly some things are plain wrong but I'm talking about some people doing things differently and getting shot down in flames for it.

Rant over

QueenOfQuotes Mon 04-Jul-05 11:49:28

"I must admit to being a bit peeved at being attacked for a having different parenting style to some."

Now come on QE - you've got to admit that on one of those occasions you were rather asking for it given the thread you posted on

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 11:50:46

Who moi QofQ?

Was merely trying to get you off the hook my dear!

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 11:51:42

can i twat you now QE ..

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 11:52:46

PMSL!!!!! @ Awen

emily05 Mon 04-Jul-05 11:53:01

RANT ALERT * Have been thinking about it and I think that the comment that upset me was when somebody said once that if you bottlefed your child you were killing them and should be ashamed. I like a debate and like to see both sides but it is when people are 'this is the way it is, you are crap and that is that' that pisses me off.
Or when you ask for help - but people post what they think of you - but say nothing constructve!
Anyway on that note i have PMT so should retreat now!!

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 11:56:20

Emily - anyone who spouts such rubbish should be immediately "twatted" with Awen's big stick!

emily05 Mon 04-Jul-05 11:57:18

pmsl! we need a mumsnet naughty step!

Caligula Mon 04-Jul-05 11:59:23

Perhaps I'm just very thick skinned, Emily, but when people post mad things like that, it makes me laugh. It's so obviously preposterous and they're so obviously unhinged, that I can't take comments like that seriously!

But I can understand it might upset someone who has just been through the hell of trying to bf and has had to give up.

I also do sometimes wonder if people post stuff like that just to get an angry reaction and I don't like to give them what they want!

Blu Mon 04-Jul-05 12:01:17

People being 'touchy' and taking things personally disrupt at least as many good robust discussions as people being upfront and assertive, IMO.

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 12:01:57

Totally agree Emily.

Awen, Sorry. I meant no offence. It's hard to remain neutral and chatty when under heavy artillery fire from such a large majority of posters. It took me by surprise to be honest.

I would express forthright views and hope others would do the same in the interests of lively debate. Your opinion was articulately expressed.

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 12:02:44

I take that very personally Blu!! you are so disruptive.. can i twat you too??

emily05 Mon 04-Jul-05 12:03:52

Blu - I agree - which is why if something upsets me I never say and just go and do something else! iyswim

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 12:05:15

spidermam - i am sorry too and meant no offense. I understand what you mean about trying to remain calm and neutral when you feel under attack.

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 12:08:22

Thanks Awen.

triggerhappy Mon 04-Jul-05 12:55:15

to be honest, you get conflicting opinions & falling out on all sites ( I should know, I've been on enough LOL) but MN is one of the friendlier ones by far, some sites are awful.

Blu Mon 04-Jul-05 13:02:06

yes, Awen, I am a well-known trouble-maker Will probably be banned soon, tbh, so don't waste your energy twatting me too mmuch

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 13:10:02

I think i am gettign that label too second thought about thread i started but i had been biting my tongue for months.. and lost control of it for a second.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now