Talk

Advanced search

How do I get this stain off my new trousers????

(13 Posts)
QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 10:41:39

Help! I bought some pure cotton grey combat trousers last week and I wore tham to a BBQ this weekend. I think I have spilt vegetable oil on them as I have lots of splash marks down the front of one leg. They haven't come out in the wash. Anyone got anyideas on how to get rid of the marks? They cost me £35 so I don't want to chuck them and I can't afford a new pair!

Furball Mon 04-Jul-05 10:50:31

Swarfega is good, it's for getting oil off hands but I use it on oily stuff on clothes before putting in the wash. You can get it from DIY shops or places like Halfords.

giraffeski Mon 04-Jul-05 10:51:07

Message withdrawn

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 10:51:58

That stuff won't damage the trousers at all then?

They are really nice expensive ones I bought with my birthday money so am feeling really about it.

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 10:53:01

I washed them on a 40 cycle as normal. Eeeek beginning to think I should have left them and asked advice first.

SaintGeorge Mon 04-Jul-05 10:53:41

Second vote for Swarfega.

If your trousers have grease stains then they are ruined anyway - worth tryig anything if it might rescue them.

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 10:56:38

Ok will try the swarfega. I can remember my dad using that stuff when I was a kid after he'd been working on the car or fixing our bikes - wonder if he's still got some?!

giraffeski Mon 04-Jul-05 11:00:20

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Mon 04-Jul-05 11:00:32

One word of advice - if using a jar from someone's garage, scrape away the top layer before you scoop some out to use.
Blokes have a nasty habit of leaving bits of motor oil in the top of the jar, you don't want to transfer that to your trousers!

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 11:03:05

giraffeski - thank you for that, I will read through when I get the chance.

StG - good thinking batman! Might buy a new jar to be on the safe side though!

Furball Mon 04-Jul-05 11:23:11

Mine came in a squirty hand soap thingy.

SausagePie Mon 04-Jul-05 11:26:05

Vanish is great too - I've used the stick and the liquid before on grease stains and it always seems to work.

Good Luck

catgirl Mon 04-Jul-05 11:50:44

had a similar problem on a linen skirt last summer - my ds gave my skirt a kiss - with his mouth full of olives and olive oil! the stain didn't come out first wash, so I put fairy washing up liquid on the stain and washed for a second time- hey presto - no more stain.

sorry that was a long winded way of saying: fairy washing up liquid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now