Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have given up drinking for 50 days, I'm on day 42 and desperately want to give in

(43 Posts)
lilibet Sun 03-Jul-05 17:57:42

And I mean desperatley. I was nearly in tears last night I wanted a drink so much. Dh was drinking wine and I got into such a state about it. He says that as the ban is self inficted I should just have a drink if I want one, but I think it's a very bad sign if I want a drink sooooo badly

What would you do? He's got a glass of red wine now and it looks lovely!

Puff Sun 03-Jul-05 18:03:11

Why did you stop totally lillibet?

lilibet Sun 03-Jul-05 18:04:53

Because I was drinking too much and when I thought about it, it was 50 days off the hols so I decided to have a self imposed bann.

I also hoped to loose a bit of weight but haven't lost a sodding ounce!

lilibet Sun 03-Jul-05 18:05:33

And I am a bit of an all or nothing type - I never seem to be able to cut down.

Puff Sun 03-Jul-05 18:06:44

I think it's really tough when someone else having a yummy glass of wine!

Do you think you could limit yourself to say a couple of glasses 2 evenings a week?

Aragon Sun 03-Jul-05 18:08:09

lilibet, what made you think you were drinking too much?

Would a white wine spritzer be okay for you? That sometimes feels quite nice on a warm evening - especially with a couple of ice cubes in it. Not too bad on a diet either as you're halving the alcohol with sparkling water. Or is alcohol too a serious problem?

beetroot Sun 03-Jul-05 18:11:12

Message withdrawn

lilibet Sun 03-Jul-05 18:11:59

So are you saying that you would give in?

beetroot Sun 03-Jul-05 18:12:32

Message withdrawn

lilibet Sun 03-Jul-05 18:13:04

because we have a couple of bottles of wine and a few hefty whiskes nearly every night of the week

Puff Sun 03-Jul-05 18:13:12

Lilibet, having got so far, I'd hope I wouldn't give in - stick with it as beetroot says.

lilibet Sun 03-Jul-05 18:13:50

Can't not drink on my hols beety!!1

Happy Anniversary BTW!

beetroot Sun 03-Jul-05 18:14:23

Message withdrawn

Puff Sun 03-Jul-05 18:15:05

Lilibet, obviously you know that's a lot of alcohol.

I think you've done brilliantly with abstaining - it doesn't matter one jot that you haven't lost weight because of it.

Twiglett Sun 03-Jul-05 18:23:24

think your DH is being an arse being so unsupportive ..

you are well aware that your drinking is excessive and not good for your health nor weight (You are probably not losing weight because you're substituting food for alcohol)

have you tried non-alcoholic cocktails .. like 1 part cranberry, 2 parts apple juice, 3 parts hing ginger ale and some fresh mint ... really yummy and maybe having something else as a treat instead will help you out

I think it is sad to have to rely on alcohol so much .. think you're doing a fabulous thing stopping

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 00:01:12

dont think i have ever spoken to you before so no idea about you tbh. But i wonder if dh attitude is because he wishes he had the same courage and determination you are showing. I had a similar thing happen first time i gave up smoking and xp still smoked. He wanted me to carry on so he didnt feel so damn guilty iyswim

Pixiefish Mon 04-Jul-05 00:18:46

Stick with it. Don't sit with dh if he can't be supportive

Pixiefish Mon 04-Jul-05 00:19:40

btw- he only wants you to have a drink cos he can't stop himself and he wants you to fail- think of it like that before you give in- you'll be playing right into his hands

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 00:27:04

totally with you there pixiefish

anorak Mon 04-Jul-05 08:23:31

Keep thinking about how well and refreshed you feel in the mornings and how crap he probably feels Then you can be really smug.

lilibet Mon 04-Jul-05 09:11:36

I didn't 'break' lat night - quite proud of myself!

dh did ask if I minded him drinking after I had my mini tantrum the night before!

MamaMaiasaura Mon 04-Jul-05 09:43:35

Well done lillibet fantastic x

Puff Mon 04-Jul-05 12:03:55

Well done lilibet .

Tommy Mon 04-Jul-05 12:10:51

well done lilibet - I gave up booze for Lent this year and I haven't really gone back to the drinking every night thing at all. I'm sure it must have done you a lot of good - try and keep up your motivation!

Pixiefish Mon 04-Jul-05 18:14:29

well done lilibet. stick with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now