Talk

Advanced search

Anybody know of a 'how to cook cheaply' cook book?

(13 Posts)
MrsBigD Fri 01-Jul-05 20:25:05

We have to impose a rather strict budget as we're broke so here's my question to all you knowledgable mn'ers

Can anybody recommend a cook book or recepies for quick (I work all day), easy, cheap but healthy family meals? DD is 3.5 and ds is 10m

Thank you

SenoraPostrophe Fri 01-Jul-05 20:33:04

I've got a good one, but it's really old (it's called something like 40 healthy recipes on a budget).

go to amazon and search for "cooking budget" and lots come up. I seem to recall that a friend had this one and that it had a few gems in. Could be the wrong book though.

SenoraPostrophe Fri 01-Jul-05 20:34:03

...just read the blurb and it was 2vegetarian grub on a grant" she had and the one I've linked to is that one and another one.

MrsBigD Fri 01-Jul-05 21:04:46

Thanks Senora I'll have a look

expatinscotland Fri 01-Jul-05 21:12:41

BBC 'Good Foods' book 'Cheap Eats'.

popsycal Fri 01-Jul-05 21:13:23

a student cookbook?

giraffeski Fri 01-Jul-05 21:20:41

Message withdrawn

KatyMac Fri 01-Jul-05 21:28:18

It may not help or be relevant - but my chickens only eat about 40p's worth of food a week and get me 14 eggs a week - which goes a long way towards my food bill.

Also if you can access a market - you can get the friut/veg a little past their best - but as long as you cook that day (and maybe freeze) it's OK.

Changing the proportions of food on your plate helps too. Currently meat/fish is often 1/3rd to 1/2 of your food. It can drop to about 1/6 (or 1/4) without any lasting effects, carbohydrate can be increased along with veg, eg add a slice of bread and butter, or mop up the gravey with a slice of bread.

Scrambled egg with half a tin of tuna in can be served with veg as a lovely meal (5-10 min)

Lots of pasta with Tuna & cheese, or ham & Cheese, or tomato salsa (15-20 min)

Toad in the hole with mash, carrot & onion gravey (my littles only eat a couple of cocktail sauages each) (30 min)

Homemade soup - the flavours are endless (and great for using veg past it's best) (prep in the am and slow cook or make a batch at weekend and freeze- 2hrs plus ) or if you are in a hurry a frozen bag of casserole mix, a stock cube, some herbs (or stuffing mix) boil for 20 mins and liquidise.

Sweet potatoe pie or cheese & potatoe pie with beans goes down well here too (20-30 mins depends how small you cut the potatoes)

I think my homemade bread is cheaper than bought - but I do eat a bit more of it

Good luck finding a book

lemonice Fri 01-Jul-05 21:35:15

I used to cook from Frugal Food by Delia Smith (before she was famous) It's probably no longer in print...

mancmum Fri 01-Jul-05 21:38:45

this is a fab book -- we use it and are not that skint!!

beyond baked beans

Also, I think the dinner lady book gives good cheap recipes that are suitable for your family ages

MrsBigD Sat 02-Jul-05 07:40:12

giraffski... that'd be great. How much do you want for it?

giraffeski Sat 02-Jul-05 09:18:38

Message withdrawn

MrsBigD Sun 03-Jul-05 08:09:46

thanks for all the ideas ... I knew I could count on mn

Keep them coming ))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now