Talk

Advanced search

New house has no phone connection. What are my options?

(11 Posts)
beatie Fri 01-Jul-05 13:29:16

Moving soon - I hope! The info. we got from the vendors via the Solicitor said there was no BT phone line and did not state if there was another kind of phone line.

If this is the case, and we have to get something installed, what are our options these days? I feel so out of the techy-loop the older I get (and I'm only 31)

purpleturtle Fri 01-Jul-05 13:35:15

If you can get cable, I'd recommend Telewest's package - phone, broadband & tv. We definitely save on the phone bill compared to BT.

morningpaper Fri 01-Jul-05 13:36:13

Is it very remote?

beatie Fri 01-Jul-05 13:52:20

No, not especially remote. We'll be wanting broadband too.

beatie Fri 01-Jul-05 13:54:38

When I say no BT connection I'm guessing the box was taken away some time ago - perhaps replaced with cable box? We'd need to pay a BT engineer to come and fit a new box to connect the phone so that is why I am looking for other options. I hate BT!

Marina Fri 01-Jul-05 13:56:05

you have the wrong chat name then beatie! We are very happy with them after rubbish experiences with NTL...

Aero Fri 01-Jul-05 13:58:36

I'd go with Telewest or whichever cable company is in your area. They'll fit you with whatever phone connection you need and you'll probably get TV and Broadband as an all in one package considerably cheaper than BT. We have Telewest and can't complain. Any problems and they're out here asap to sort them etc.

bambi06 Fri 01-Jul-05 14:17:21

may i add here that i have a bt line but use online 18866 co.uk that gives you FREE NATIONAL CALLS AND REDUCED INTERNATIONAL CALLS you only pay a 2p connection charge for all of england and can talk for as long as you for 2p. its an online acc so we set up a direct debit and they send you an e-amil each month of payment. our bt bil has gone down incredibly and were now in credit and they owe us money instead as we pay direct debit too with them..theyre bloody brilliant and no i dont work for them ...i`m just up to save money for us all..you even get cheap mobile calls as you can add several numbers to the acc

bambi06 Fri 01-Jul-05 14:18:33

i forgot to add that there is no time specific..you can use the phone whenever in peak times as its all the same price for landlines

beatie Fri 01-Jul-05 14:22:11

I should have added our calls currently are only about £14 per quarter! It's the line rental which is so expensive so I'm trying to avoid BT line rental or see if there is a cheaper option.

f1recr4cker Fri 01-Jul-05 16:34:58

DO NOT GO WITH NTL!!!!!!!!!! they r utter muppetts and messed us up soo much when we disconnected! they even sent us a letter from their solicitors saying we owed them money by mistake!! what eejits!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now