Talk

Advanced search

Christening +dog - am i being unreasonable????

(73 Posts)
fee77 Thu 30-Jun-05 12:48:32

DD is being christened soon, the plans are going well but my parents rocked the boat last night when they mentioned that a family member is bringing their dog - i don't want it! We live in quite a small house, and have never entertained more that 4 people! We are having a tent in the garden, ther will be over 20 guests, we have no drive so people will have to park in the street, there will be young children there and we have two already odd cats, who will be spooked enough on the day. These people haven't asked if they can bring their dog, and hated dogs till they got their own.
Please tell me i am not being unreasonable - i have to phone them tonight, and will basically say chose between dd and the dog! Sorry i rambled, but am a bit tense now!

fee77 Thu 30-Jun-05 12:49:38

Oh and my mum said that i didn't state "no dogs" on the invite!

northerner Thu 30-Jun-05 12:49:55

Good god no. I would say no to the dog. Tell them you don't feel it's appropriate for the dog to come, and there will be small children present who could be scared. Tell them your allergic.

snafu Thu 30-Jun-05 12:50:22

Why on earth do they need to bring it?

sweetmonkey Thu 30-Jun-05 12:51:06

i love dogs but it is yr dd day and yr home so i would tell them they could not bring it. i think its quite cheeky unless its really ill or something in which case maybe one of them could stay at their home and look after it

HTH

zebraZ Thu 30-Jun-05 12:51:29

use the cats as an excuse, or ask them to leave the dog in the car during the event.

RTKangaMummy Thu 30-Jun-05 12:51:33

WOW how rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way should you have to put up with their dog

I am in full agreement btw I love dogs

MrsGordonRamsay Thu 30-Jun-05 12:51:36

This says it all

Lonelymum Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:29

Stand by your guns, I say, although me being me I would find it very difficult to make that phone call myself (but I fully support your wish not to have the dog present). My uncle and aunt (who alos happen to be my god parents) didn't come to my wedding because they couldn't leave their dogs with anyone! What an attitude!

sweetmonkey Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:30

so is yr mum implying that unless you put no dogs, cats , goldfish , zoo or farm animal on invitations that if someone turned up with a cow or giraffe it would be acceptable??

Tessiebear Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:30

Totally agree with you - why should you have a bl**dy dog at your christening!!!! it is not as if you have your own dog there!!
The last thing you want is the hastle of that and also the worry that it might do its business somewhere that young children are playing. THey are being totally unreasonable and you should not feel at all guilty for telling them not to bring it.
I have a dog but would probably farm it out to someone when it is my babys christening - you have to think of everyone

alexsmum Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:30

i think its a bit mad to think of taking a dog to a christening.and as for having no dogs on the invitation-well,im sure you didn't put ' no hamsters fish or gerbils' either but you still don'r expect people to bring them.
put your foot down.....what a looper-lets take the dog??!

RTKangaMummy Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:44

I have NEVER heard of putting or not putting NO DOGS on invites

it would never occur to me

QueenEagle Thu 30-Jun-05 12:52:47

Since when does not having it stated on the invites make it ok for people to assume they can bring a dog to a christening FGS?!!!

It's a dog not a flippin' baby! Not appropriate at anyone elses house unless you are a dog lover and know the family well. Especially not appropriate at a christening.

crunchie Thu 30-Jun-05 12:53:23

Just a quick note, from someone who has a dog. Sometimes if the dog is small it can be fine, as said dog can stay in the car most of the time - with a water bowl and air and in shade. Then the family member can let it out for a walk whenever. I am sure they are not thinking of having the dog loose at teh party.

However they are a bit off IMHO if they didn't at least ask if they could bring it.

Tommy Thu 30-Jun-05 12:53:36

agree with everyone else and also think that your Mum should phone them and tell them

snafu Thu 30-Jun-05 12:54:51

Well, I had a dog for 15 years and never felt the need to take it to a christening. Madness.

cupcakes Thu 30-Jun-05 12:55:48

I'm sure you don't need any more backing up here but have to say I agree too! They're crazy!
And as for the invitation... well, really! Obviously I don't know your mum but I have to say I'm surprised that your baby's grandmother would have that response.

tarantula Thu 30-Jun-05 12:56:07

No I dont think it appropriate either with that many people around and lots of kids so Id say no too. and tut tut imagine not putting NO DOGS on the invite.

Actually next time you had beter put NO PETS on the invite or someone may turn up with mad parrot or something

Iklboo Thu 30-Jun-05 12:57:05

No way would I expect to take my dog to a christening. Unless she was being a dog-mother! Not being flippant, I think it's out of order to EXPECT to bring the dog. And the 'it doesn't say on the invite NO DOGS' doesn't cut any ice either. What a ridi+culous argument to use.
Put your foot down on this one.

MrsGordonRamsay Thu 30-Jun-05 12:57:49

BTW

My link was not the blasted bat

RTKangaMummy Thu 30-Jun-05 12:58:56

Is it a subsitute child for them?

We used to have a dog and would never dream of taking to christening

Do they have to travel for miles and hours to get to you ie can't get back home to let it out?

we used to be able to leave our labrador for several hours at home alone she would be far happier there anyway

sweetmonkey Thu 30-Jun-05 12:59:15

MGR i found it amusing but i also like the bat anyway

Hausfrau Thu 30-Jun-05 12:59:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinyGang Thu 30-Jun-05 13:00:57

No, No, Nooooo!
I am not a dog fan though - especially around babies and young children. I would definately say something now, rather than try to deal with it when it turns up.

If you ask them not to bring it how offended are they likely to be? Do you mind upsetting them or are they extra special guests?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now