Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh I'm so pleased with myself although it's sad, can I share a laundry tip?!

(98 Posts)
WideWebWitch Wed 29-Jun-05 14:06:31

We have just started hanging shirts and childrens' tops and dresses on the line on coat hangers! and it cuts out so much work because when they're dry you just hang them up! This doesn't work if you do ironing but if, like me, you don't, it cuts out the whole taking them off the line/folding them up/taking them upstairs/putting them on hangers/hanging them up stages! I am ridiculously pleased with myself about this as I am a lazy arse who detests washing and usually waits until no-one has any clean pants before tackling it.

There's bound to be a flaw in this new system but I haven't found it yet. I thank you for listening. Please pray for me to get a job soon

QueenOfQuotes Wed 29-Jun-05 14:07:46

ooo I've tried that (don't iron many things at all) but DH's shirts still need a run over with the iron [frown]

cupcakes Wed 29-Jun-05 14:08:42

It is good - everything in the airing cupboard goes on hangers although they still have to be ironed because they are so crumpled.
Does the wind not blow them off the line?

Gomez Wed 29-Jun-05 14:08:56

But they can't 'air' probably if they don't get a good blow around in the breeeze surely..

Please let me wrist heal and let me get back to work soon .

colditz Wed 29-Jun-05 14:09:26

You know, you could take up a new interest in cross words? {kind smile}

Heathcliffscathy Wed 29-Jun-05 14:10:03

genius witchywoman. when i have a garden with a line (soon i hope) i shall fit it with hangers and do exactly that. we don't own an iron as you know. so will save lots of time. i do dh's shirts like this already (they are short sleeved variety not smart suitish ones otherwise i would have to iron wouldn't i, or at least, he would)

paolosgirl Wed 29-Jun-05 14:11:07

WWW - when I saw you post, I went "oooh, good, a laundry tip" and clicked straight on. And I have a job . There are lots of us (well, me anyway) out here who appreciate a good laundry tip.

Tinker Wed 29-Jun-05 14:11:55

The flaw in the system is taking them upstairs. Just let ours stay on dining room table and help ourselves each morning.

006 Wed 29-Jun-05 14:13:57

Even sadder - you can buy little blue clips that stay on the line and stop the hangers blowing away. Is there a saddo emoticon for me?

motherinferior Wed 29-Jun-05 14:15:19

You mean you've only just found this out?

You aren't a saddo, WWW, you're just a saddo-come-lately.

spidermama Wed 29-Jun-05 14:16:57

Thanks WWW. Surprised I hadn't worked that one out myself. Laundry is the bain of my life. Any tips on how to get husbands to unravel their sweaty socks before putting them in the basket?

motherinferior Wed 29-Jun-05 14:17:37

Bung them in ravelled, take them out ravelled, smile vaguely.

Ulysees Wed 29-Jun-05 14:24:47

I tell my boys (dh inc.) to ravel theirs so I don't have to search for socks, or maybe I'm a weirdo.

Thanks for the tip WWW.

spidermama Wed 29-Jun-05 14:25:06

Tried it motherinferior.(love the name by the way!) Only problem is they won't hang on the line or airer in crumpled up ball state. Also they won't dry so they'll smell. He has no sense of smell so I'd be cutting off nose to spite face.

SaintGeorge Wed 29-Jun-05 14:26:07

Well at least with a cut off nose you won't have to smell the socks

Fio2 Wed 29-Jun-05 14:27:54

we dont have wradrobes

otherwise this would be an excellent tip

northerner Wed 29-Jun-05 14:28:39

I prefer to deal with raveled socks personally. It ensures that I always wash socks in pairs. Of course I unravel them before putting them in the machine.

spidermama Wed 29-Jun-05 14:28:48

Very true StG. The ulitmate solution.

stitch Wed 29-Jun-05 14:29:11

always hange dh shirts on hangers in bedroom. then straight in cupboard. he can do his ironing himself. and the clothes horese is full of the kiddies stuff

aaliyahsmum Wed 29-Jun-05 14:30:49

www i am so glad that someone else hates washing my dp thinks goes mad but i really hate washing i have been ironing the last two days and dp keeps adding to the pile my front room looks like a chinese laundry

oliveoil Wed 29-Jun-05 14:31:35

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

motherinferior Wed 29-Jun-05 14:31:48

I ravel mine, I will freely admit. Drives DP mad, as he's the one that usually does the washing.

Heathcliffscathy Wed 29-Jun-05 14:32:08

MI, i also unravel them only to hang them up else they'd never dry.

spidermama Wed 29-Jun-05 14:33:03

I iron maybe three times a year. I lower the ironing board to knee height in front of the sofa and then do it in front of the telly. It still takes hours and I'm in awe of you people who do it routinely. The clothes look fab afterewards. But Oh! the time.

QueenOfQuotes Wed 29-Jun-05 14:35:17

I wash (quite happily only takes seconds to throw something in the machine), hang out to dry on hot days - and then fold and put away everything except DH's shirts and trousers (he irons the trousers - I do the shirts), if it's wet outside I tumble dry everything and fold while still warm - and then put away.

I hate having piles of clothes around the kitchen/living room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now