Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on plastic surgery?

(14 Posts)
zingiber Tue 28-Jun-05 11:36:45

I have just looked at some pictures of myself, taken recently. Oh the horror. I'm not ugly per se, but I have quite a big double chin that really detracts from my face. It sort of elongates my face and I think spoils it. I'm not overweight, and no matter how thin I get, it never goes. My mother has the same, as do all my female relatives on that side. It seems to get bigger with age, judging by them.

My first thought when I saw it (again) was: why don't you get this fixed, for once and for all? I never thought I'd ever feel the need to have plastic surgery, so this was a surprise. I feel so sad at having to go through life with a face that doesn't look like me, if that makes sense.

Have you ever had anything like that done? Would you ever do it? I can see lots of pros and mainly cons, and I don't feel comfortable with the idea of having surgery for non-essential reasons, so I'd like someone to either talk me out of it, or give me an essential reason!

NomDePlume Tue 28-Jun-05 11:38:56

Yes, I'd have surgery if I felt that I needed it and my discontentment with that particular feature cast a shadow over my every day life.

NomDePlume Tue 28-Jun-05 11:39:46

P.S. I've not had surgery and don't dislike anything about myself enough to want to have it surgically enhanced/improved.

expatinscotland Tue 28-Jun-05 11:40:19

I'd have it if I could afford it.

Lizzylou Tue 28-Jun-05 11:41:33

I would definitely have work done if I could afford it and it bothered me enough...

dizzydo Tue 28-Jun-05 11:42:27

I had plastic surgery on my ears which stuck out really badly and made me feel terrible self conscious. I couldnt have short hair and they just poked out of long hair and looked ridiculous.
I cant imagine having to go through life like that and am really glad I did it.

I think if something makes you feel really unhappy and it is within your power to change it then you should go ahead. I will definitely have my eyes and face done when the time comes (not long I fear) and whilst I am a little scared of the procedure would still go ahead with it.

Of course some people will agree and some will strongly disagree with me but I think it is an immensly personal thing and you should do whatever feels right for you (and certainly dont do it for anyone else). Good luck I hope you reach a decision your happy with.

moondog Tue 28-Jun-05 11:44:18

Why not? I've just booked an appointment to see someone about sun damage on my face (thanks to a childhood in the Tropics) My Christmas present to myself I've decided. Oh, and I'm having some varicose veins seen to at the same time. Quitle looking forward to a night or two in a quiet hospital room over the festive season!

TracyK Tue 28-Jun-05 11:44:18

you could get lipo in your lunch hour for double chin. I'd defo do it and do intend to get stuff done in my forties (if I have the cash)

zingiber Tue 28-Jun-05 11:47:21

Lipo in your lunch hour??! Seriously?!!

I feel a bit guilty thinking about this so much - and of course I feel a bit fickle for putting so much emphasis on my looks. But I find looking at pictures of myself really depressing. Nobody's got any pictures of me and my son up in their house - plenty of my dh and our son, though.

That sounds pathetic!

TracyK Tue 28-Jun-05 11:49:09

yes - I've heard lipo on small areas is v. easy to do. they have advanced it so well it hardly bruises. God you can get a mini face lift that heals in 10 days!

zingiber Tue 28-Jun-05 12:05:13

I think I need the full muscle-lifting/lipo combo though.

TracyK Tue 28-Jun-05 12:09:14

take a week off work and get it done!

TwoAngels Tue 28-Jun-05 12:33:59

one day I will get my tummy done and my boobs lifted... <<sigh>>

HappyDaddy Tue 28-Jun-05 13:48:33

If you've got it, flaunt it.

If you haven't, buy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now