Talk

Advanced search

What should I do - Ebay?

(15 Posts)
Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 18:57:24

I sold a pair of maternity jeans for £2.99 plus postage for which I had allowed £1.75 which the buyer sent me very quickly. I in turn sent out the jeans, for which postage was charged at £1.48. Anyway, I've received an email from her saying that I hadn't paid enough and she had to pay the extra 27p plus a £1 surcharge just to receive the jeans!!!
I had other parcels to post, so didn't notice that it may have been wrong, but it was weighed there on their scales so wouldn't have even thought to question it anyway even if I had.
What I want to know is, what is the right thing to do in this circumstance? I feel that this was not a mistake caused by either of us and if I refund all of it to her it won't have been worth me selling the jeans. I am of course happy to pay the postage that was undercharged, but have suggested that we split the surcharge to 50p each. Does that seem fair or have I done the wrong thing completely and should have offered to refund the lot meaning I will have received £1.72 for my jeans minus what Ebay charge for me to advertise them in the first place?

Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 18:58:04

ps - we have both already left each other good feedback - I left mine first.

NomDePlume Sun 26-Jun-05 19:10:52

TBH, if I'd seen them weighed on the scales in front of my own eyes, then I'd be thinking that she's trying to pull a fast one....

Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 19:11:53

she says she has a receipt as proof from the post office.

NomDePlume Sun 26-Jun-05 19:13:29

hmm, well it should be the bloody PO that pay then !!!

Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 19:15:31

I agree NDP. I even went out of my way to get the thing posted asd there were dreadful roadworks in town so I went elsewhere, but their scales weren't electronic. I too have my receipt which must show what they charged.

NomDePlume Sun 26-Jun-05 19:19:55

hmmm. I'd take it up with the po. I know it seems petty for £1.27, but it's the PO's fault not yours or the customers. Alternatively I don't think you are being remotely unreasonable in requesting that they go halves

Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 19:27:45

If it wasn't so far out of my way that's just what I'd do - and I may well still and obviously if they refunded me, then I would pass this on to the buyer. I do believe her as i had estimated it would be £1.75.

kid Sun 26-Jun-05 19:30:40

The buyer can leave follow up feedback for you but it will still be positive (if thats what has been left already)
I also think it should be taken up with the PO. I had a problem with them before about a parcel I had paid recorded delivery for, but the postman didn't bother to get a signature for. In the end, they appologised and gave me a book of stamps for free.

gigglinggoblin Sun 26-Jun-05 19:32:34

you can complain to the po over the phone - we did over some photos the postie folded in half (despite the envelope saying PHOTOS-DO NOT FOLD durr..) and received a cheque within about a week. make sure you let the buyer know what is going on tho, its v annoying hanging on for emails and you dont want her complaining to ebay

Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 20:01:52

giggling goblin - that's a great idea - hadn't thought of that. I will give them a call tomorrow - you don't happen to know if there's a national number do you, or should I be able to find it in the local phone book or online I guess. I will email the buyer and tell her what I intend to do and hopefully neither of us will be out of pocket! Thanks for that.

SoftFroggie Sun 26-Jun-05 20:51:29

I was recently sent a letter for which postage paid wasn't enough and I had to go to claim it from the PO, and pay £1 surcharge and about 04p (!) postage. I made the PO weigh it when I claimed it, as I was so surprised. The woman who sent it claimed that she'd had it weighed and had sent lots of others the same and none of them had been surcharged. Just goes to show something or other.

Personally, I'd refund her the postage and surcharge, and then take it up with the PO.

Flossam Sun 26-Jun-05 20:54:23

I wouldn't refund her. She got an item far cheaper than she would have done otherwise and is prepared to buy from Ebay and have the risk of postage. I would try and look into it with the post office though.

Aero Sun 26-Jun-05 20:55:17

She has emailed me and said she's happy to split the surcharge and she loves the jeans which is great. I've emailed her back now and said I'm going to take it up with the PO tomorrow on the phone and providing they refund me, then I will fully reimburse her no problem. I don't see why either of us should be out of pocket for their mistake tbh.

Aero Mon 27-Jun-05 14:30:20

Thanks everyone for your posts. I rang Royal Mail customer services this morning and they were very apologetic and helpful. They are going to refund the full amount and send it directly to the buyer for me so I don't have to do anything at all (just so long as they do send it - I've asked her to email me when she receives it). So very pleased with the outcome and it was worth selling the jeans after all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now