loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to get rid of - gulp - rats?

(40 Posts)
Pruni Sat 25-Jun-05 22:03:47

Message withdrawn

ogri Sat 25-Jun-05 22:09:15

poison it will have to be. or unless you got a gun and sit and wait for them to show their faces, then BANG, the little bugger is dead

gigglinggoblin Sat 25-Jun-05 22:09:20

o dear, am going to be v hypocritical now as have just posted on other thread saying what great pets they make, but..... call the council asap. rats carry all sorts of awful (potentially fatal) diseases. you dont want your kids getting ill. (not same for pet rats). council will dispose of them and will probably find a rubbish tip in neighbours garden if life of grime is anything to go by

saadia Sat 25-Jun-05 22:35:54

I would call the council, they will have to put down poison. I was really shaken when I saw a rat in the garden, it was just shocking, but called the council and they put down poison.

Yesterday I saw a tiny mouse in the garden and that was terrifying enough, scared there's a whole family that might move in.

Nightynight Sat 25-Jun-05 22:40:47

we put poison down, and it worked.

stitch Sat 25-Jun-05 22:43:02

eeekkkk.
i threatened to move out when i saw a mouse in the garage.
was going to go to mil house of all places.
i think if i saw a rat i would even go to wicked with sister in laws house than be near a rat. and wouldnt move back in until place had been completly and uttelry fumigated, and sterilised, or better yet, the building torn down and rebuilt.

bigdonna Sat 25-Jun-05 22:53:33

i would ring environmental health,they should come and put poison down.

Janh Sat 25-Jun-05 22:57:41

They may have appeared suddenly because someone else has called environmental health where they were before - they are like cockroaches, they move right along when they're dislodged! Or is there any maintenance/repair work on sewers near you?

I forget the exact figure but I heard recently that the population in general is never more than <insert small figure> yards from a rat (in the sewers mostly I suppose).

Janh Sat 25-Jun-05 23:01:13

OMG, look at this! I thought those wire cages on soil pipes were to stop leaves etc falling in, not rats climbing out

ScummyMummy Sat 25-Jun-05 23:07:03

Environmental Health needed asap. Are you in London? Apparently there are more rattus rattuses than people in London these days.

Nightynight Sat 25-Jun-05 23:08:01

eek! Jan, Im upstairs at the mo, so am I a safe distance from The Rats?? not if they're coming in from the roof, obviously!

Nightynight Sat 25-Jun-05 23:08:46

youve got to feel sorry for the rats actually, imagine climbing all that way up and then finding a wire balloon.

Janh Sat 25-Jun-05 23:10:36

Um - they can also climb into the loo and bite your bum, Nn!

Now I know where the expression "like a rat up a drainpipe" comes from, lol.

ScummyMummy Sat 25-Jun-05 23:12:48

Janh! Did nightynight really need that info? Poor woman will never want to lower her butt onto the loo again!

Janh Sat 25-Jun-05 23:21:03

Well I was thinking that knowing it's a possibility might stop her fainting if it did happen, scummy...

Probably not good reasoning! Sorry, Nn

(Where'd she go?)

LilMissy Sat 25-Jun-05 23:21:41

We have a small plug-in device by our backdoor which emits highpitched noises that the rats hate. We live near a meadow so it's constantly on and the little beggars don't come round anymore

It's called *goes to check* doesn't have a name. Will find a link *looks for link*

It looks something like this:
http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/pestcontrol-rodent.html#pr51

We use bait to kill rats if we see them, and leave it on all the time so any living rats don't come back (since using it we haven't seen anymore rats)

Hope that ramble helped and made sense.

Carla

WideWebWitch Sat 25-Jun-05 23:25:54

Eeewww. We had some - one? - who knows? but it gnawed a HUGE load of wood from the bottom of the kitchen door in an attempt to get into the kitchen. It was sooo loud, the gnawing, we could hear it from upstairs. I'm looking at it now and it managed to chew about 9 inches ish of paintwork from the door above the floor level. We called the council who came round with rat poison and they're long gone. We also found where we thought they were getting in - a hole in the floorboards coming up into our dining room - and blocked it off. God, now I've typed all this smug 'we got rid of our rat' stuff it'll come back won't it?

nooka Sat 25-Jun-05 23:27:53

We have rats too. One ran over dd and my feet this morning - right outside our front door!

Your council will probably use contractors to come and kill them (They put down baited boxes). In our area it costs £51 - or £15 if you are on income support.

Our council also said how to do it myself. You have to make a little tunnel and put a bowl of rat poison (from any good hardware shop apparently) in it. You fill it up every day until none is being eaten (then it is asumed the rat is dead). We know where the rats are living so I'll put the tunnel there (has to be big enough for a fist apparently).

If you don't have a roof to the tunnel, the birds will eat the poison (apparently it doesn't kill them).

Anyway good luck!

ScummyMummy Sat 25-Jun-05 23:28:49

@ where'd she go? Actually it's pruni who needs this info more as nighynight's rats have been dispatched to the rat afterlife, I now see. Pruni, better make sure you check your loo frequently!

dinny Sat 25-Jun-05 23:32:29

get a cat that likes ratting! my mum's Siamese catch about 2 a month!

Flossam Sat 25-Jun-05 23:32:39

When we moved out of our last flat and moved the furniture aroun we realised a mouse had been/was in our flat. Turned out it probably still was, when I went back a week later there was a trail of droppings to the gap in the front door. I didn't get het up about it though, I'm quite good with these things, although had I considered it might have been a rat I would have been frightened tbh. Call the council and get it sorted asap.

Nightynight Sat 25-Jun-05 23:33:48

Im still here. I always check the loo for rats and large spiders (like from the intro to How Clean Is Your House) actually.

dx claimed to have seen sewer rats the size of cats.

Nightynight Sat 25-Jun-05 23:34:43

not in our house though!

dinny Sat 25-Jun-05 23:35:25

expand further, Nightnight !!

Nightynight Sat 25-Jun-05 23:36:11

he has been in the sewers in France.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now