Talk

Advanced search

MOVING HOME - BIG SOFAS - HELP!

(9 Posts)
melon1 Sat 25-Jun-05 18:04:25

We're due to move home soon, and I'm pretty sure our sofas aren't going to fit through the front door of our new house. What is the solution? How much would it cost to take the front window out? Is there a company that could take the arms off our sofas then put them back on? Any one else had this problem??!!

spagblog Sat 25-Jun-05 18:20:59

Can't help as have the same problem, but remover was convinced that he could get our sofa through a standard door. Next week we are going to stand back and say "Told you so" before having to store the huge beast.
If the new house has double glazing you can "pop" the glass out and do it, but if it is wood, you are more likely to break the glass or damage the frame.

Fran1 Sat 25-Jun-05 18:30:49

You'll be amazed what removal men can do!

We have enormous sofas that i never thought would get thru one door and immediately round a corner and thru another door.

At the end of the day, removal men want to get job done and get home, so they can work magic .

melon1 Sat 25-Jun-05 18:37:01

Unfortunately, we're moving ourselves, so don't have the luxury of removal men! Who do you get to pop the glass?

Fran1 Sat 25-Jun-05 18:46:18

Oh! sorry!

Double glazing men will pop your glass. It's very easy and quick, but i don't know what they'll charge for this.

melon1 Sat 25-Jun-05 18:54:47

Thanks for the advice - I'll ring round in the week.

melon1 Sat 25-Jun-05 20:01:42

Following on from the sofas question, how much do removal men normally cost? I haven't got a clue.

Fran1 Sat 25-Jun-05 22:18:17

I think we spent about £250, could be wrong it was around that mark.

We were only moving a few miles away obviously if theres a bigger distance it would be more.

When i was moving i found a website that gave online quotes for moving, you had to answer a quick questionnaire about how many rooms you had, how much was in your loft etc etc. And it'd come up with a four of the cheapest quotes from local companies. Sorry don't know the address, but sure it could be found with a bit of searching, if you're interested i'll look for it.

Don't even bother with the big firms, they are extortionate, pick a local independent firm.

spagblog Sun 26-Jun-05 10:54:10

We have had quotes for £390 and £385
Plus I had quotes off
online quotes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now