Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

scar reduction/removal

(12 Posts)
starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 22:55:04

has anyone had this done? how did you find it?

i used to self-harm really badly, and my arms are just covered in scars. i don't regret doing it, and i always always said that i would never want them taken away... because they are a part of me...

but... i want to be able to wear short sleeves. i want DS to have a normal mum...

i have no idea if anything can be done... but if anyone has had a similar experience (or any experience of removing scars) then please can you give me info.

am going to bed in a mo, but will catch up with any replies in the morning!

TIA!

starlover Sat 25-Jun-05 20:43:33

bump

Tissy Sat 25-Jun-05 20:58:07

sorry, but doubt if it can be done. I think thick scars can be flattened with silicone and bio-oil, but scars cannot be removed. Ugly scars can be changed, but doubt if they could do lots of them, as you're just exchanging one scar for another.

Tissy Sat 25-Jun-05 21:00:07

actually, I stand corrected- looks like it might be possible after a quick Google search

tiddlypom Sat 25-Jun-05 21:26:50

Ds had some nasty raised red scars (on his butt!) from falling down a tree and then languishing in hospital while the grazes healed over. I bought some scar reduction patches from Boots and they have really really reduced the scars. They're v expensive - almost £20 per pack - but I got them with loyalty card points. I'd certainly recommend them, starlover. Don't know if you could get them/something like them cheaper from your GP?

If you want the details, post and I'll copy the details off the packet. The difference has been very marked; the scars were quite old, and the packet says the patches work with old scars. I think they're a new development, probably not very well known as yet, but freely available in chemists if you're prepared to shell out for them.

I had previously tried aloe vera gel, which is often recommended, and rose oil, and Vitamin E oil. The patches have been most noticeably effective though. You're supposed to apply them daily over a matter of months, but I often forget to put them on his scars, and they have still worked.

tiddlypom Sat 25-Jun-05 21:46:18

Have just looked again at the packet, and it does only claim to work with 'raised red scars'. Thought I should post to that effect in case yours aren't raised/red

treacletart Sat 25-Jun-05 21:57:49

How weird, I was going to post myself on this. Today in Boots I bought some Dermatix for my Ds'surgery scar - he had a cyst removed from above his eye 6 weeks ago. Its shockingly expensive, £30 quid a tube, but I had a load of points and vouchers to use. It claims to reduce scarring, lessen raised scars and fade dark scars. They say it works on old scars too. You have to use it for a minimum of 2 months though. Chemist thought that some doctors might prescribe it. Its based on silicone. I have no experience of it to speak of yet, but was hoping another mumsnetter might. Here's the dermatix website

franke Sat 25-Jun-05 22:08:03

You could try acupuncture. I had a few sessions around my caesarean scar nearly 2 years after my c-section. The scar had been quite lumpy and visibly improved over a few weeks/months after the acupuncture - about 2cm at each end has reduced to a thin white line - the rest is still quite lumpy but as far as I can see there has been a general overall improvement in its appearance.

loobywoof Sat 25-Jun-05 22:10:13

The scar reduction patches are available on prescription and are called 'Cica-care'

loobywoof Sat 25-Jun-05 22:11:01

Cica-care is the prescription version I meant

Smurfgirl Sun 26-Jun-05 18:29:56

Bio-oil is fab apparently.

I would go see your Dr and ask for a referal to a dermatologist.

I am resigned to having nasty arms though...hate my raised red ones.

starlover Sun 26-Jun-05 21:17:27

hmm interesting... will definitely see my GP and see if there is anything i can try on prescription!

thanks for all the input!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now